Need some info/advice on this C4 Transmission

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IRON MAIDEN

Here is my C4 trans that I had in my 65 Mustang Fastback. I had it rebuilt with a B&M Shiftkit. That is really all I know about it. Had maybe 2500 miles on it before I had motor problems and ended up parking the car. The trans has been sitting in my shed for the last 15 years. Not sure if it would even work or not.
Do they go bad from sitting like this? Still has the fluid in it. It shows it's been sitting. But I would assume internally it would be preserved???? Correct me if I'm wrong.
My questions are this.
Looking at it, What Ford motors will this bolt up to so I can start hunting down an engine for this project.
Also, should I have a transmission shop check it out. A friend of mine owns an A1 transmission and I'm sure he would at least give me a deal to look it over, not so sure about a deal on a rebuild though.
Any advice would be great.
32b21444.jpg

3920d54e.jpg

a2c7a860.jpg

e20a9728.jpg

Looks like small block ford. With a 157 Tooth flywheel/flex plate.

The A on the side cover means it a standard service trans. It would take a 24 spline Torque Converter. Tail shaft spline should also be 24

Good news is that you have a later 6 bolt bellhousing, some Fords to mid 65 were 5 bolt and hard to find engines with that pattern. Your bellhousing will bolt up to any 289-302, 351W, and I think 351 C and 351 and 400M engines. 429-460 are different bolt pattern and size.

Not much will go wrong inside from sitting, unless water got in through the dipstick hole, but seals are probably dried up. I'd have your buddy put new front and rear seals in it (simple job) and change the pan gasket and filter. You should be good to go then.

Don

Sweet. I didn't know the 351 Cleveland had the same pattern.

1970 - 1973 Clevelands have the same bolt pattern. After that they went to the 429-460 bolt pattern.

There was a couple of companies that made 429 bells and flywheels for that trans. But I would go with a 1970 or newer C4 or and older one with a C cast in the side cover. They have more bands and are a little bit stronger. The 70 on up also has a 26 spline input shaft.

One big advantage the trans has, is that you can change the bell to fit your engine. You just need to use and cast fill bell on a case fill trans and a pan fluid bell on a pan fill trans. Your trans is a case fill.

With the fly wheel The 302 from mid 1981 on back use a 28 oz. bounce flywheel and mid 1981 on up use a 50 oz flywheel. The 289 and 351W were all 28 oz bounce.

1970 - 1973 Clevelands have the same bolt pattern. After that they went to the 429-460 bolt pattern.

There was a couple of companies that made 429 bells and flywheels for that trans. But I would go with a 1970 or newer C4 or and older one with a C cast in the side cover. They have more bands and are a little bit stronger. The 70 on up also has a 26 spline input shaft.

One big advantage the trans has, is that you can change the bell to fit your engine. You just need to use and cast fill bell on a case fill trans and a pan fluid bell on a pan fill trans. Your trans is a case fill.

With the fly wheel The 302 from mid 1981 on back use a 28 oz. bounce flywheel and mid 1981 on up use a 50 oz flywheel. The 289 and 351W were all 28 oz bounce.

Not sure what you are saying. So I should not go with a Cleveland? Just go with a 60's 289/302???

i'd stay older model 289-302 the later 302's used a bigger flywheel that will give you fits--b/c it won't fit inside your older model bell......

not to argue w/ya don, but every 351 "M" and 400 i ever saw had the big 429-460 style bolt pattern, though i was told that a 73 400 used the small block pattern[S

Those bells are getting hard to find and aftermarket ones are expensive. If I were you I'd go with the 351 Windsor, will bolt right up. My 2 pennies.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna just see what falls in my lap. I have plenty of work well before i even need a block for mock-up of the frame. I plan to just strip it down and start working on the cab and bed. I'm gonna build some dollys to be able to roll em' around and be able to snug them up in position so I can play with the look. It will give me plenty of time to see what drivetrain I end up with.

Latest posts

Back