New guy could use advice/opinions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monster

Hello everyone, New guy in central Texas could use your expertise. So I just joined in the last couple weeks in hopes of starting my first rat. I've been on the hunt for a 30s-50 Chevy or international truck. I have ideas of what I'd like to do, but really hoping to build on a beer budget as I have 2 other projects going....and I'm poor. So I found a couple 1950 trucks and I was looking for advice on either or both. One is just a field find. The other is a truck a guy was starting with his dad in the 90s and they did a few 1990 things to it. But it's burried in a garage and I only have pics of the 2. Frame looks to have been cut, but not zd. Straight cut with the bed lifted. Also looks like a sunroof lol. Front end is also different. But I don't have a lot of info as it was his dad's project and he has moved on to the big garage in the sky. I can trade for either one. Just curious if you think either is worth it or if I need to keep searching the fields. Also wasn't sure if this was the right section to post in. But was hoping this could be the start of a build thread. Thanks Monster

Attachments

• IMG_9654.jpg
    IMG_9654.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 42
  • imagejpeg_3_4.jpg
    imagejpeg_3_4.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 32
  • imagejpeg_2_4.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_4.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 29
  • imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 33
  • imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 34
  • imagejpeg_3_3.jpg
    imagejpeg_3_3.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 31
  • imagejpeg_1_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_1_2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 30
  • imagejpeg_3.jpg
    imagejpeg_3.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 30
  • imagejpeg_0_3.jpg
    imagejpeg_0_3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 31
  • imagejpeg_2_3.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_3.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 27
Personally I'd stay away from the one that's already been hacked on.

The field find looks like a cool start.

What ever you build make sure YOU like it. Don't let others tell you what you think is cool.

Yup, that's it in a nutshell.

Personally I'd stay away from the one that's already been hacked on.

The field find looks like a cool start.

What ever you build make sure YOU like it. Don't let others tell you what you think is cool.

Who knows how many parts could be missing on the project, so I would also start with the field find. It looks pretty complete! [dr

Also important if it has a title? Not necessarily a deal killer, but it sure helps save time and hassle.

I agree with all the above! Field find would give you the opportunity to do it your way from the start and cut all the "re-do" out of somebody else's ideas. Being able to legally get it on the road is also important unless you just plan to run it on the strip or drag the queen to shows on a trailer....

You said you have ideas of what you want to build, what are they? If you want a "bobber"-style truck, then just look for a cab & doors, they're plentiful and cheap...if you plan on running the stock bed and fenders, that field find is the way to go, as it looks pretty complete...

...as far as that other truck, really hard to make a determination, as you can't really see the whole thing yet, and had a chance to figure out if the mods already done will work with your plans...the sunroof is an eyesore, but, if you plan on chopping it, you could fill the roof with another skin...

The garage project has a 70's up front stub from a Camaro or Nova.
These front ends are too wide for the AD pickups so, without further adieu, I'm with the crew.
The field truck.

I'm with everyone else. That field truck looks like a better start. I guess if the garage one had a lot of extra good parts that you actually wanted and knew where good (motor, trans, rear end, etc.) that might factor in but otherwise, the field truck has a better look to it and that sunroof is a crime against humanity. If you want patina, old paint/patina, the field truck is better too.

Thanks Motorhead guru's!! I really really appreciate the feedback. I think you addressed all my concerns. I almost threw up when I saw the sunroof and was super worried about that chop job. I think I might keep looking because all I really want is the cab. So I am hoping to build a bobber with a dually rear end. I have been looking at 80s c3500 Chevy duallys as doners but a little worried I'm not choosing the correct doner. Any recommendations? Sorry for all the questions like I said this will be my first.

Sorry I guess I am in the wrong section as I was just looking for advice and I wasn't actually building the truck yet. For the sake of covering my ass. This is what I have been building. I realize it's not a rat rod. But I grew up a lowrider guy. Hope you don't mind. Sorry for being in the wrong section

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1434597516604.jpg
    FB_IMG_1434597516604.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 19
  • FB_IMG_1434595215046.jpg
    FB_IMG_1434595215046.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 18
  • FB_IMG_1434597508349.jpg
    FB_IMG_1434597508349.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 20
Field find! Cool low rider... Looks like u spent some coin on the paint

I just got my dually build out of the garage for the first time last week.. U can check out my build if you are interested, it's in my signature

Sorry I guess I am in the wrong section as I was just looking for advice and I wasn't actually building the truck yet. For the sake of covering my ass. This is what I have been building. I realize it's not a rat rod. But I grew up a lowrider guy. Hope you don't mind. Sorry for being in the wrong section

Hey I've had a few of those! But mine had headers thru the hood lol [ddd
I've smashed a bunch of them.

Thanks Motorhead guru's!! I really really appreciate the feedback. I think you addressed all my concerns. I almost threw up when I saw the sunroof and was super worried about that chop job. I think I might keep looking because all I really want is the cab. So I am hoping to build a bobber with a dually rear end. I have been looking at 80s c3500 Chevy duallys as doners but a little worried I'm not choosing the correct doner. Any recommendations? Sorry for all the questions like I said this will be my first.

What are they asking for the 3100 Chevy? If it's cheap enough it would be good trading stock to get the parts ya want.

I could get the 3100 for 1000. I found a dually for a grand also. The front end is smashed up pretty good and the frame is bent but the rear end looks good and it's a diesel :). Corpo, your dually is sweet sir. How tight is it on the inside? I'm a decent sized boy so was hoping to find a 50 Chevy just to fit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back