New One here - Please Read

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meyek91974

I have always worked on my own cars, and I've had several. Twenty years ago, I built up American muscle, but I fell in love with my Maverick's little inline 6. Two decades, kids, a mortgage and such later, I realize I've put off building my own car for one reason or another more than half my life.

As I read and learned of the Rat Rod, what I understand is that following the second world war and great depression people built the cars and trucks from the used parts as they could come across them. Building a rolling, running, modest transportation in providing what they could to work and for thier family at the work of thier own hands. As time passed, the engines got bigger, power grew, and the hot rod became a show car more than it's beginnings.

Here I am, married with children, and money for extras such as building a car is not coming as much as I'd like. But, recently I came about a Ford '61 & '63 144 Inline 6, a '61 auto tranny, '63 manual tranny, a drive shaft, some coil springs I could use in the rear, a radiator, two carbs, starters, coils, and a little more heres-and-theres. I have looked, looked, looked and think I could buy the metal for building a frame and a friend can help with the welding.... so on and so forth. So, it would be a '23 style/type frame made today, engine from the sixties, a rear end from the eighties, a fiberglass body that's made today to look like the twenties....... It's a frankenstein of a vehicle. A beer keg for a gas tank......

So, is this the right way to hack it together? am I in the "wrong" forum? How do you guys just "know" if the parts will go together when your pickin? - OH, and I'm keepin all Ford parts in this build. - If I'm not just buying new parts to remove and replace, where do you start to breathe life back into a junk yard engines???

First of all, Welcome, glad tour here. You requested an opinion, so here's mine.
A style frame may work better than T, depending on what ya build. Steel is preferred over fiberglass, but a lot of guys have "glass", and they look good and are fun (see T bucket thread) inline 6,will have plenty of power for that light of a car. rear end can get kinda tight for space, so some go with 4-link, and coil overs. empty the beer from gas take first, it may provide inspiration.
start a build thread, show us pictures, and your underway.[;)

I guess the first question I have is, will the engine have to be rebuilt? Is it out of a running truck, or has it been sitting for years and years? I would suggest you spend some time looking at builds here, also pull up some T pictures. There are some pretty ugly ones out there, but there are some that look great. And it is all a matter of an inch here, and an inch there.
Welcome to the site.

Welcome to the RRR

I think we've all been in your position of putting off things for the family and raising the kids...with the rotten economy, I think it's put a strain on all of us as far as the "extras"......there is no "etched in stone" way of knowing if parts fit or not.... sometimes that's half the fun of a build..making it work... sometimes you just have to step back, take a look at what you have, what you can do yourself and what you can't and then make a plan.. after that... take the first step.... Guaranteed that if you need help, the guys / gals here will be there with suggestions, help and support.... sit down, get something in mind that you'd like and put it to metal... Honestly... this ain't rocket science... everyone has their own way of doing things... the part about this hobby is it's fun.... sounds to me like you need to have some.... good luck with your build.....[P by the way, plenty of pics during the build....beginning to end...:D

Welcome to RRR! Where are you located? Look through the builds section - anything from building a frame to chopping a top can be found.

What's the condition of those motors? Do they run? Do they turn by hand? Are the seized up?

Welcome to RRR!!!

These guy's pretty much said it all. Why they would ask if the motor needs rebuilding is. We're all pretty big on doner car's, and if the six needs rebuilding a lot of times it's easier to find a running car, (truck) to start with.
Sounds like you've already taken the first step, collecting parts, keep us posted on you're progress, and if you need any help I'm sure everyone on here will do their best!!

I don't know if I'm doin this right???

As y'all are droppin a couple pennies here, do I click on post reply at the bottom of the screen or on the small icons in/from each person's reply to respond to that reply?

Ok...I chose the 144 inline six as it's about the same size engine the T's had in them anyway. - and I can't find/afford an old flathead...... Plus, about twenty years ago I had an old Maverick with an inline 6 and I fell in love/got hooked/whatever you'd say on the inline 6. As with my Maverick, my build here will not have power steering, power brakes, no a/c..... I am a blue-collar working guy with kids and a mortgage. I'm just tryin to stop putting off what I'd want for a couple decades.

One engine is a '61 and the other a '63. Got a factory carb and a small Holley. Two coils (that I found out today that I can take to Autozone to test see if any good) Two-door Falcon drive shaft. '65 Mustang coil springs. An auto tranny and a stick. - -- One engine has the fan on the front pulley and I can turn the motor by hand; the other has had the fan removed. So If the turning motor doesnt and wont fire then I'll try the second. Otherwise it's parts. Radiator = freebie

I am planning this taking about a year as it's the first one

welcome to the RRR! lots of good folks here with plenty of wise advice....

plan on your "year" project taking 5 or 6...it would be less depressing knowing this up front as it took 8 yrs to drive my 2 yr project:eek:

my opinion is as follows...

get your T body BEFORE building your frame...

check out Spirit industries on the web--based in Arkansas and they build T bodies and frames

..price may convince you to buy a frame rather than build

get it tied together, body sitting on a frame, axles placed, and general layout of the vehicle before rebuilding the engine (if it needs it)

double your expected cost--the little things all add up!!

not trying to depress you, but simply prepare you... i for one like the idea floating around in your head so get started and post some pics when ya can!

and always remember we do this stuff for fun, so include the family if ya can...:cool::cool:

New, BUT I think I found how to post pics!!!!!!

Let's see if I FINALLY got this...
AND
Along with the pics, I have a ???
I unbolted the Ford-O-Matic from the engine block, including the lower bolts through the dust shield BUT how hard should I have to pull to separate the tranny from engine??????

reply / quote

As y'all are droppin a couple pennies here, do I click on post reply at the bottom of the screen or on the small icons in/from each person's reply to respond to that reply?

Ok...I chose the 144 inline six as it's about the same size engine the T's had in them anyway. - and I can't find/afford an old flathead...... Plus, about twenty years ago I had an old Maverick with an inline 6 and I fell in love/got hooked/whatever you'd say on the inline 6. As with my Maverick, my build here will not have power steering, power brakes, no a/c..... I am a blue-collar working guy with kids and a mortgage. I'm just tryin to stop putting off what I'd want for a couple decades.

One engine is a '61 and the other a '63. Got a factory carb and a small Holley. Two coils (that I found out today that I can take to Autozone to test see if any good) Two-door Falcon drive shaft. '65 Mustang coil springs. An auto tranny and a stick. - -- One engine has the fan on the front pulley and I can turn the motor by hand; the other has had the fan removed. So If the turning motor doesnt and wont fire then I'll try the second. Otherwise it's parts. Radiator = freebie

I am planning this taking about a year as it's the first one

click quote in someones post you will get what I just did with what you wrote. you can also click a link at the bottom of some peoples posts and go right to their builds. to add pics click reply the text sreen will come up scroll down and click manage attachments this will open a screen for up loading pics. most of all go the the build threads and start your own thread and post lots of pics, every one loves pics. hope this helps and wecome to RRR

Welcome :)
Do what you're doin, 95% chance you won't be wrong :D
I assure you no one on here will let you screw up [P
If you screw up it's because you didn't ask first :confused:
Enjoy your project and post lots of pics for our enjoyment :)

Jim

Latest posts

Back