Newbie From Arkansas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71elcamino

Hey guys! My name is mike, im really excited to be a part of the site. ive recently "discovered" ratrods and im really wanting to build one. i hope that i can learn alot of valuable things on the site. i'm 19, going to technical school for aviation, love old cars, well, i love cars with carbs. thats easier to say. ive been offered a 40s chevy cab, which im gonna go pick up,(comes with a chassis) im gonna use an 80's s10 frame reg/swb[P( i know they are ugly, but for $50, it'll work.) i have a 69 sbc 307 that i picked up from a friend for $50 thats a good old motor and is gonna be my powerplant. im trying to do this as cheap as i can. so ill see how that goes. i can use all the advice and ideas i can. i hope to make many friends and get lots of knowledge from those with wisdom. im not the typical "think i know everything" teen, im respectful and im here to learn. thanks alot in advance and great to be here
ive owned one old car, which is why my name is what it is, a 1971 elcamino. my pride and joy, sold it recently and miss it.

the first 4 pics are those of rods on s10 frames that i liked, and the 5th is just one i really liked. this is what i want to base mine off of.

Attachments

• !BPYqQbQBmk~$(KGrHgoOKk!EjlLm(M-TBJzYN!ONOg~~_1.jpg
    !BPYqQbQBmk~$(KGrHgoOKk!EjlLm(M-TBJzYN!ONOg~~_1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 18
  • !BPYqR7w!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLm(F82BJzYNI,HFg~~_1.jpg
    !BPYqR7w!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLm(F82BJzYNI,HFg~~_1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 14
  • !BPYqTf!!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKj4EjlLm(n4WBJzYNRDJ8g~~_1.jpg
    !BPYqTf!!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKj4EjlLm(n4WBJzYNRDJ8g~~_1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 15
  • putri5.jpg
    putri5.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 16
  • hcrat1jpg_00000005975.jpg
    hcrat1jpg_00000005975.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 14
Welcome to RRR!

Any idea what front clip was used on that first truck? It's got a rear rack which makes it so they could cut off the frame horns past the a-arms. The second truck, if looked at from the side, would look front heavy - fenderless s10 frame rats get that look because you can't ditch the front horns. Just some thoughts...

i read the post on the guy who created the first truck, its a fiero front end, and the second one is an s10. and why can i not chop the frame horns off on an s10 frame? i figured they are useless. i thought it was a really creative idea especially with that grille. im looking for a grille right now like maybe from an old tractor. cant wait to go pick up this cab. he says its like a 45 chevy truck. cab and chassis. he told me i could have it if i come get it. so thats just awesome.

Last edited:
hey got a question for you guys. if you look on that 5th pic i put up on the original post, how much do you guys think the top has been chopped on it? i want to chop the top on the cab of the truck im getting. im not sure what all is involved, but i like the look.

and why can i not chop the frame horns off on an s10 frame? i figured they are useless.

You can cut about a foot off, but you still need to leave a foot or so unless you change out the steering. The steering gear and gearbox are all attached forward of the A-arms.

That chop is probably 4" or so. Check out the builds section - there are a lot of truck cab chops.

awesome thanks. well i havent gotten the time but within in the next few days i should go and pick up the s10 chassis and the truck cab from up in nothern arkansas. ill post some pics when i get everything home. and do you know what it costs to have someone port and polish a set of heads and intake?

welcome to the site!
be careful up here in northern arkansas...lots of rednecks w/ lots of guns....make sure you don't get shot at while picking up that rat project-lol

hope you get a good rig to work on and be sure this place has lots of info to help ya out...:cool:

Latest posts

Back