Opinions, off topic.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
Based on actually experience (not heresay) have any of you ever used gasoline in place of Coleman fuel (white gas)? Ever heard of it killing anyone?
The reason I ask is from an experience I had yesterday. I was in the local farm store and some older tourist couple was asking for white gas. The counter clerk said they didn't have any and a discussion was going on with me in the middle as I was checking out. I casually mentioned that I knew of people who routinely used unleaded gasoline and they reported that it worked just fine. The man was fairly polite and said he'd prefer not to but the woman was quite rude and told me that was a good way to get killed (??? is there a bad way to get killed?). Well, anyway I decided that was a good time to just shut up.
I know you can pour white gas in a car and it will run ok because we had to do it once to get home. I haven't personally poured gasoline into a coleman lantern or stove.

I do not know about that. But I do know if you use gasoline in a kerosene heater. You will burn the place down, I investigate more then one fire were that happen.

I thought Coleman fuel was just kerosene in a can with a Coleman label. I would not put gasoline in an appliance designed for kerosene. The fumes from gas will ignite too easily...:eek:

i would like to know where that lady was coming from. just did some quick internet research (went to google and typed in "white gas vs unleaded") found out that White gas and unleaded are basically the same thing. White gas is a little more refined so it will not gum up as much since it will not oxidize as quickly.

here is the link i found the info from.

http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gearguy/200307/20030702.html

I would think that back in the day if you used gasoline the lead fumes couldn't have done your food any good...personally I switched to propane stove and lanterns the instant they come out. It was all about convenience for me.

In the 70's when you had a choice of leaded or unleaded(white gas) people would use unleaded in Coleman products and it would work but tended to glog the generators (little metal tube that acts like a carburator) , Colemen fuel is a little more refined.Kerosene is used in heaters, not most coleman stoves and lanterns.

Latest posts

Back