Please, either talk me into or out of this idea...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coostv

Why do I say it both ways? Well, I have a project Vega I stalled out on a couple months ago due to lack of direction. I just can not decide what direction I want to take it and do not want to sink money and time into it and change my mind half way through and scrap the work I put into it. So, I have found it is easier to just let it sit while I determine what I want from it... I plan to at least get it back into roller status and Epoxy prime all of the work I have done and then possibly hide it from my sight for a bit in a buddies barn.

Anyway, I have been wanting to build a car from scratch for roughly 3 years now. While I want a '28 or so Model A sedan, or a Model A truck (extended cab, I am 6'4" and want to be comfortable). I would like to do a truck first and I don't think I would even consider selling the truck to finance the next one, I think it would just become an "extra" rod between the two builds so my wife and I could drive whenever we wanted.

This sparks a debate in my mind. I have seen the bodies that New Metal Kustoms is building, I like them, they get poo-poo'd because they are not a perfect emulation of the original, but I think they serve a purpose. I have thought about buying his extended cab body and modifying it to suit me and adding provisions for roll up door windows, but would it be better to just start from nothing?

http://www.newmetalkustoms.com/Products.html

i really don't like what they have done, i believe they could have done better. now my peace said. the short truck is the best of the bunch. but if your going to spend that much money on something that doesn't really look right not including all the work for windows, you could go to modelthaven.com and spend the same maybe less and have something that you will like better. i see model a's on there all the time. look around before you buy, there is a lot of people out of work and have half done projects.

i really don't like what they have done, i believe they could have done better. now my peace said. the short truck is the best of the bunch. but if your going to spend that much money on something that doesn't really look right not including all the work for windows, you could go to modelthaven.com and spend the same maybe less and have something that you will like better. i see model a's on there all the time. look around before you buy, there is a lot of people out of work and have half done projects.

That model TT fuel truck is AWESOME!

Do you have pictures of your Vega? That is still the fastest car I ever rode in. Guy would put 20$ on the dash and tell kids they could have it if they could grab it before he hit second gear... Didn't happen.

Wild 327 in a Vega was pretty cool.

Gold03

I agree, the standard one is the best looking of the lot.

This is how I should have left my original post:

This more or less is leading me to wanting to build my own body. Here are some of my thoughts on this. I thought of buying a few repro parts of what looks to be harder to make with my limited skills and tools. I have a bead roller, and a shrinker/stretcher which allows me some freedom, but I am by no means proficient with them yet. I have made a few floor pan sections and patch panels with the bead roller and replaced the windshield channel on my Vega with the shrinker/stretcher, but that is the extent. Everyone starts somewhere, but do they jump right in and build a body from scratch? I guess I worry too much about what others might think, even if it looks great to me.

Do you have pictures of your Vega? That is still the fastest car I ever rode in. Guy would put 20$ on the dash and tell kids they could have it if they could grab it before he hit second gear... Didn't happen.

Wild 327 in a Vega was pretty cool.

Gold03

Not much to see there.... Much work to be done!

21eoj6e.jpg

Thanks for the link to that thread. I burned up some bandwidth. I like his style, simple tools, logical approach, good stuff. I do not watch too many youtube videos since our internet is usage based (blessing of living in the sticks), but I am definitely going to try to catch some more of this guys stuff.

I say build your own body. I wanted to build a model A roadster pickup but when I looked around for a body the prices were crazy [I'm cheap]..so I built my own. It ain't perfect, not even close to good, but it's mine and I made it deeper and longer to fit my large frame.

Attachments

• Copy (4) of a bucket 007 (Small).jpg
    Copy (4) of a bucket 007 (Small).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 27
  • a bucket 058 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 058 (Small).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 23
Here's a few of the body when I started puting it together. Started whith a 30 Model A cowl [ebay] and just built a square tube frame for it, welded tin to it. I don't have the skill level or the patience of bobw, Dogpatch1 or Donsrods but I prefer a rat rod over a show car anyway. I build em safe but ugly and I'm havin fun doin it!...:D

Attachments

• a bucket 002 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 002 (Small).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 20
  • a bucket 003 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 003 (Small).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 21
  • a bucket 016 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 016 (Small).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 20
  • a bucket 057 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 057 (Small).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 20
  • a bucket 086 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 086 (Small).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 22
  • a bucket 082 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 082 (Small).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 23
  • a bucket 081 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 081 (Small).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 21
  • a bucket 084 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 084 (Small).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 16
Here's a few of the body when I started puting it together. Started whith a 30 Model A cowl [ebay] and just built a square tube frame for it, welded tin to it. I don't have the skill level or the patience of bobw, Dogpatch1 or Donsrods but I prefer a rat rod over a show car anyway. I build em safe but ugly and I'm havin fun doin it!...:D

Looks pretty darn good to me! :)[;)

Regards,
Shea:)

Thank you for taking the time to post those! I was thinking about buying the top cowl piece and building off of that like you did.

Nothing ugly at all about what you have there Fuzz. Older station wagons have rounded roofs and you can cut them in quarters and put the drip rail down for the sides of a roadster body. Mate to an existing cowl in front and add flat sheet in the back. Makes for very nice compound curves and very strong bottom edge.

Latest posts

Back