Project "Ford Fracus" 51 F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robudda723

Ultimate plans are for a street/strip build. Been going back and forth on full fendered or fenderless, however either way has to get down to frame for the build. Will not be the fastest build with work, kids sports and such taking the priority. I am not setting a budget, I will do the work myseld from frame to final paint, but if I find good used parts to save dough then that is what I will do. Here are the basic plans will go more in depth as build starts. This hopefully will get me rolling by next summer and start more changes next fall.

1. Keep stock frame and Box it
2. Suspension Rear-Move leafs to inside giving plenty of tire room.
3. Front Suspension- keeping straight axle, lowering the entire truck 4-5 inches.
4. Mild 3-4 inch chop on cab.
5. Blown Ford V8, Have not decided on SB or BB yet.

This is the stripped down basics....

Ok with the help of my pops and a few hours of Cutting, grinding and cursing, we got it down to the frame. Big time thanks to my dad for the help. Was down from Vegas visiting and spent the whole time helping me out.

Will post some pics of bare frame when get home from work. I found that at some point the frame was cut in 2 and put back to gether by welding and bolting in some plate. (And not done very well I must add). Will clean up frame and remove the crappy stuff and redo it right, plus it will be boxed.

There was so much weld were there shouldn't be. Was obvious every time some thing broke that it was welded back together instead of replacing the part. Even had to cut and grind welded in diamond plate that covered the rotten wood in the bed.

Any way will get some more pics of the frame and condition of fenders and such tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks for looking,
Rob

Welcome to the forum... glad u found us! Make u're self @ home & feel free 2 join rat in!!! Nice truck... please keep us posted!!! :D

BoB

Here are the pics of the frame and the hack job done. The Drivers side of the frame is just as bad. The is just behind the cab. In person looks like they were straight cuts and a half moon cut out the top. Not sure why.

The idea of moving the rear springs to in board works great!! I did it on mine. The passenger side rear spring became my drivers side and vice-versa works out great just have to weld a mounting plate but you said you were going to box the frame so you'll have that covered. Adds a lot of wheel clearance!!! Looking forward to seeing your build.

Also I went with a different bed box.....Not sure of the year a buddy of mine had the box setting in his barn but the sides have 4 1/2" wheel tubs so the bed sets on the frame just like factory but where the rear tires are the tubs go in even with the frame.

That is interesting how they fixed the frame. I most of worked because the frame looks straight. lI have seen a lot of bend frames in that area. but none broken.

Good luck with the project. Keep us posted.

Robubba

I have something that could save you a lot of time and money. If it does not go soon I am going to gut it up and only keep the rear section.

Attachments

• 1948 F1-1.JPG
    1948 F1-1.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 1948 F1-2.JPG
    1948 F1-2.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 1948 F1-3.JPG
    1948 F1-3.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 1948 F1-4.JPG
    1948 F1-4.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 1948 F1-7.JPG
    1948 F1-7.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 27
Hot40Rod: Thanks that does look like it would save lots of time and money in the long run, However I spend a little at a time on this for now. Finishing remodeling the house and just trying to get mine on the road for now. The bigger more expensive stuff will come after the house is done.

And the frame does seem straight, I was wondering if at one point they cut the back half off to use as a trailer or something, then eventually put it back together.

Will be working on it more Thursday and Friday..

looks like you got a good jump on it. Looks almost like it had some kind of boom attached there or maybe a wrecker boom. looks like the cutouts are right at the front of the bed. Or maybe they shortened the frame? back halved it due to an accident? anyway, it wont be hard to fix and box.

HOT40ROD, what is the rear end in that 48-50 that you are hiding? doesnt look like a bad start to a race truck....[;)

Been a little bit, since I updated. Not much done (but lots of thinking). I Cleaned out the garage some and moved the frame inside. Started snowing last week. So I am planning to Z the rear section of frame where it was previously cut. This will lower the rear 6" and then get another 2-3 inches of drop with new mono leaf springs from Calvert This will be a street/strip Rat so going with Calvert Racing mono leafs and Calvert's caltract traction device.. Will order them once I get measurements. I figured I will switch over to a suicide front end which will get the front end lowered to match and will give some length to the wheelbase that I lost from the rear Z section. Here is a little drawing of what I am planning for the rear.

I have been looking around and seen some modify the parallel spring beam setup to use for suicide setup, but have not seen if there are any kits to convert or any walk through to do it yourself, I will keep looking in case I have missed something. Have the next few days off so hopefully will get a lot done.

Thanks,
Rob

Latest posts

Back