Questions about flat paint

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTOKID

Hey all,

Go lots of questions. I would like some help/tips on spraying flat black paint. The last time I sprayed a car was several years ago using single stage. Do you wet sand? Clearcoat? Also, I was thinking about spraying the chrome bumpers too. I really don't want to destroy the chrome. Can I hit them with a few coats of primer and spray the flat over? Thanks guys.

When I painted my truck a while back, I used a single stage top coat from a local supply house. (with flattner added)

Wetsanding, is up to you

clear coat, is up to you also.....I elected not to clearcoat(Mainly because I'm a cheap-skate):D:D

If I had chrome bumpers, I would leave them chrome and clean them up as best I could.(My opinion only)

Hope that helped.

Just sprayed mine a while back. Single stage urethane with flattener added to get your desired effect. Just shoot a little on a test panel until you get it right.

Hey all,

Go lots of questions. I would like some help/tips on spraying flat black paint. The last time I sprayed a car was several years ago using single stage. Do you wet sand? Clearcoat? Also, I was thinking about spraying the chrome bumpers too. I really don't want to destroy the chrome. Can I hit them with a few coats of primer and spray the flat over? Thanks guys.

the easiest flat i've sprayed came from e-bay called kustom shop hotrod flatz a "kit" included the reducer and hardener/activator and was around $150 worked real well and it was a single stage urethane no way to wet sand and buff flat paint as it will defeat the flat look you're going for- but there is also flat clearcoats if you want to go that way......
i'd not recommend spraying the chrome, but if you think you must, then a real good epoxy primer will help hold the paint to the chrome...

hope that helps ;)

Latest posts

Back