Questions about fuel injection

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearhead10

I have a few questions about Hilborn style fuel injection. I saw a couple good deals at a swap meet this past wknd and I pasted em up. They were older setups that were for sprint car but were complete and priced right. One was an mid 80's injection complete with pills & stacks for $300. The other was newer & complete ,pills, stacks w/air cleaners for $600. They look pretty simple as far as function & setup but since these are normally run on alcohol, can you switch em to gas? What kinda size pill do you have to go to? Will they work for regular driving?:confused: I have a cousin that races non wing sprints and he was gonna do some checkin for me as well. I just wanted to throw this ? out there and see what you guys think. I'd really like to put one of these setups on my IH if I can make it work. Another deal I thought was good was a dual 4 crossover complete, holley carbs & linkage for $600. Maybe I'm a fool for not gettin these items or smart for not cuz I know nothin about how to set em up. Anyway any advise would help. Thanks.

Some people CLAIM they can work on the street, I doubt it.

Constant flow mechanical fuel injection works well
at full throttle, or idle. NOT BOTH.

Those could be converted to gasoline, might need a smaller pump.

Download the book from Kinsler.
http://www.kinsler.com/page--HandbookCatalog--2.html

EFI is a much better choice for the street, if you are computer savvy.
Research "Megasquirt".

Hey thanks for the links. Alot of info and a phone # to call also. I talked to a buddy of mine today and he thought the same, that this type injection would only work full throttle or idle but not both. Readin some on that site it sounds like you can tune em with different jets down by the nozzles plus change the orfice size of the pill or "main jet" . I'm gonna look into it some more.I'll run it if I can, I like a challange, I'm weird like that. Hey Bonehead, you should have some ideas ? . :eek::D

I think I've seen them converted over to EFI successfully.

PA41

Latest posts

Back