Rat Wagon - Radio Flyer

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill-der

I never got a rat build on here, but I did start this:

Trying to get a hold of some connecting rods to attach the rear axle as trailing arms, and an old piston to use as my rear "diff".

Would be really cool to throw some bearings on the rear camshaft axle and hook up the old oil pump shaft to a motor :rolleyes:

Used a camshaft off an old project
IMG_6762.JPG

IMG_6765.JPG

Built a new frame out of 3/4 square tube and flipped the front stock axle/steering unit upside down to drop it, and z;d the front of the frame... Rear will either be z'd or hooked up with old connecting rods if I can get my hands on some and figure out the mounts, thinking I can cut up some hockey puks to make bushings to clamp in the rod around the cam bosses?
IMG_6770.JPG

IMG_6771.JPG

IMG_6773.JPG

IMG_6775.JPG

koool [;) using camshaft axel great idea!! looking forward to progress postings, keep up the good work[P

Very sweeeeeet!!!!!!! I'm not much for stealing ideas but if you don't mind I'd like to borrow some of yours as I have a wagon sitting here waiting to be modded for my grandson.

I am pretty sure I stole everything I did from this site or from a link from this site in some shape or form, so pass it on just don't tell the old dude who gave me that wagon for free what I did to it, haha... I hope his kids (now in their 20's) don't come back asking for it

Thanks for all the comments!

Making progress slowly... Trying to figure out how to mount the rear axle, but trying to use an old flat rubber bungee cord as an isolator around the cam journals and using the rods as my trailing arms, and the old piston top as my "pumpkin".

I also don't like how the front end is so long, so I might try to build an axle with steering knuckles so the axle can be brought closer to the body without rubbing when I turn. If not, I am going to use diamond plate to cover the "pinch zones" between the front frame rails

IMG_7231.JPG

IMG_7234.JPG

Here is one I am finishing up on for my grandson. he will be 1 year old next Tuesday. I have to add a go kart bucket seat and a Simpson 5 point harness. Has regular car type steering on it an ball bearing wheel hubs.
RPMspeedwagon.jpg

Rpmspeedwagon-1.jpg

Nice RPM.... Do you have a front view of the steering setup?

I eventually want to build a scale drilled I-beam or at least something with knuckles so I can pull my front acle closer to the body, but I am barely finding the time to get this part done without that.

RPM (or anyone else), I'm going to be starting on my wagon/cart this spring or summer.
Can you provide any measurements, drawings, angles etc on the steering?
That's one of the things I hadn't decided if I'd fab or purchase.

Thanks,
Chaz

There are no blueprints for it. Just bought an old radio flyer wagon. Some used go kart wheels and tires. A hew set of ball bearing hubs and a new set of spindles. You can get that stuff on Ebay. Just lay it out on the bench or floor and just make it all fit. One thing I did wrong was I put too much castor in the front axle. I put it on 5 degrees and 1 would have been plenty. With 5 degrees it will pick one of the front tires up off the pavement in a tight turn.

It's the front end that I'm concerned about.
I'm going to be using 2 wagons and a 70cc Honda engine.
It'll be a 2 seater that will fit my 6'2" tall (not to mention wide) butt.
How many degrees of caster & if I were to purchase knuckles where should I look?
-Chaz

DONE

The one in the foreground :D

Attachments

• 269546_655108600046_9504635_35069870_4547931_n.jpg
    269546_655108600046_9504635_35069870_4547931_n.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back