Rear leaf springs (trailer springs?)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter1

I was looking online at the price of rear leaf springs and they seem to a bit more in price than trailer springs. Any reason I shouldn't use trailer leaf springs for my rear end? I guess my thought process is thinking maybe spring length will come in to play? Or maybe spring rate (weight it can hold). Figure I will make my own hangers. OR..... Should I just go to the junk yard and get a set of leaf springs and hangers? I figure they should be pretty cheap. Ford Ranger springs or f150? Running a 460 W/ C6 trans no fenders '51 F1 cab and bed, 2x4 frame.

Thanks for the info in advance.

Josh

i dont know your spring answer, but if you go to tractor supply they sell trailer springs, mounts and shackles.

if you get the right rate i dont see what would hurt.

if you go with trailer springs get the longer ones, the longer the spring the softer the ride. even if you have to buy a stronger spring to go longer. you can always take a leaf out. i know 2 guys personaly that run them on the rear, one guy has them on the front to.

Shorter the spring less travel you have, thats one reason for them being a heavier rate!! Still might work if you don't plan on having a lot of travel!!

Trailer Springs

I have used boat trailer springs on rear before.Also used one for front cross spring.I never had any problem with them.I used bronze bushings.You could buy them by the bag on that auction site back then.That was back in 2006.

if you need short springs like me i would use some thing like a yj leaf spring (95 and older jeep wrangler may be a cj spring would work as well). and then you could run a shackle set up like this just throwing some option out there.
rangersetup.jpg

Latest posts

Back