Residual Valves

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klink

I'm getting ready to do my brake system lay out. Residual valves make sense to me but what about when the master cylinder is close to the same plane as the calipers/wheel cylinders? Are they only needed when the master cylinder is completely below the other components? The original braking system in my 1953 Chevy truck didn't have residual valves or a proportioning valve. It's going to be a disk/drum setup, the master cylinder is your garden variety under floor boosted aftermarket setup. Thoughts? Experiences?

I have no experience with this other than I have a frame mounted master which I purchased from Pete & Jakes. Both Jerry & Jason from P&J's have been very helpful. I bought some thru the frame fittings and Jason recommended the residual valves. I don't know if the MC above or below makes any difference, the residual valvees as I understand it maintain a 2 psi (disc) or a 10 psi (drum) residual in the line so you don't have any dead pedal. Helpful or not.... that's all I can offer.

Klink, I did my 31 with firewall mounted MC and I had originally planned to place residual valves and the proportional valve. I used the proportional valve to allow for timing of the brake system because I went disk front and drum rears like you plan. That proportional valve only adjusts flow to the rear brakes so you can tune the brake timing to where you want it. My situation after reading what I could also mentioned that if the master cylinder was above the wheel cylinders, residuals weren't needed and that worked for me, so I never placed them on the lines. I've been on the road with it for about 8 years now and never had brake issues. Hope that helps...

Mine is firewall mounted 4 wheel drums, 12" front, 10" back. I initially went with 2lb residuals in both lines with an adjustable proportioning valve to the rear. Didn't like the feel, took out the residuals, no change. Prop valve is wide open. Had to change the master last summer, replaced with same corvette style, helped a little. Lengthened the push rod a bit, put on new front shoes, brakes seem pretty good now. Full pedal is about 1.5" off the floor.

Thanks guys. So it seems that a proportioning valve helps. My strategy right now is no residual valves. A proportioning valve can't hurt as it can be opened all the way. So that's my plan for the moment.

Latest posts

Back