Running Racing Fuel in Your Street Car is Illegal

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpyoldman

C.A.R.B Advisory -- Running Racing Fuel in Your Street Car is Illegal, Even If You Are Racing It

We were tipped off to an advisory bulletin released by the dreaded California Air Resource Board, the infamous C.A.R.B. This advisory, in typically convoluted government speak, seems to indicate that running race gas in your street car, even if you are driving it to the race track to race it, is illegal, and if you're caught, you'll be in big trouble along with whomever sold you the fuel. How do they plan on testing? Roadside sniffers? It seems that the fear involves the lead content of racing fuel.

We get the no leaded fuel thing, but what freaks us out about this bulletin is the chilling effect it could potentially have on race gas distributors and sellers. If they know that they'll get whacked selling fuel to someone who gets pulled over with it in the tank of their street car, will they be more reluctant to sell it? CARB claims that retailers must take, "reasonable prudent precautions to assure that the gasoline will be used only in racing vehicles." As we said before, the street car that you drive and then take to the track, crank up the boost, and dump some good fuel into, is not a race car, so it is technically illegal for you to buy or be sold race gas in California now.

Will there be people spying at the race tracks on this? If your track has a fuel shack like most tracks, they legally have to stop selling race fuel to anything with a license plate on it, effective immediately. This is a bad deal that we hope doesn't grow legs anywhere else in the country.

We're all for impressive pump gas performance motors, but to restrict what fuel can be used in a car during a race? That stinks beyond words.

Here's the whole announcement from C.A.R.B:

SALES, SUPPLY, AND USE REQUIREMENTS
The purpose of this advisory is to inform refiners, blenders, importers, and distributors of racing fuel of the regulations and requirements concerning the supply, sales, and use of gasoline used in racing vehicles (referred to herein as "racing fuel" or "racing gasoline") in California. This advisory applies only to motor vehicles. See the definition of "motor vehicle" below.

The California Reformulated Gasoline Regulations (RFG) found in Title 13 of the California Code of Regulations (CCR), Sections 2250-2273.5 require California gasoline sold, offered for sale, supplied or offered for supply as a motor vehicle fuel to meet certain and specific chemical content and physical property specifications, including, essentially, a zero lead (Pb) content requirement.

"Supply" means to provide or transfer a product to a physically separate facility, vehicle, or transportation system. Thus, any person in the marketing chain, including an end user / purchaser fueling his own vehicle, is supplying gasoline and is subject to the California RFG Regulations.

"Motor vehicle" is defined as a self-propelled vehicle in section 415 of the California Vehicle Code. Therefore, racing vehicles are by definition motor vehicles. Please note that boats and airplanes are not defined as motor vehicles.

"Racing vehicle" is defined as a competition vehicle not used on public highways. Further, if you can drive it to the track, it is not a racing vehicle. Racing vehicles are exempted from California Air Resources Board (CARB) vehicular air pollution control requirements in section 43001 of the California Health and Safety Code. Racing fuel (gasoline used in racing vehicles), however, is not exempt from the California RFG requirements except as provided in Section 2261(f) of the CCR.

Section 2261(f) specifically provides, in part, that sub-article 2 (Standards for Gasoline) and section 2253.4 (Lead/Phosphorus in Gasoline) "shall not apply to gasoline where the person selling, offering or supplying the gasoline demonstrates as an affirmative defense that the person has taken reasonably prudent precautions to assure that the gasoline is used only in racing vehicles."
CARB considers gasoline (leaded or unleaded) used in racing vehicles for testing, practice, or actual competition for and during a sanctioned racing event to be exempt from the reformulated gasoline (RFG) specifications. Competition vehicles driven to a racing event on a public highway rather than being transported on a trailer or other carrier are not racing vehicles. Motor vehicles used for work, pleasure, or recreation, i.e. cars, trucks, 4X4’s, motorcycles, dirt bikes, ATV’s, dune buggies, sand rails, and other vehicles not strictly used for racing events, are not racing vehicles and gasoline used in these vehicles is not exempt from California RFG requirements. Therefore, it is illegal to sell, offer for sale, supply, and offer for supply non-complying racing fuel (leaded and unleaded) for motor vehicles in California except in competition racing vehicles. Many refiners, blenders, and distributors of racing fuel sell and supply a "street legal" high octane unleaded

gasoline (racing fuel) blend that complies with the specifications for California RFG. This complying racing
ED – Form #075 (Rev. 07/04) ED – Form #075 (Rev. 07/04) gasoline is readily available and is legal for use in all motor vehicles both on and off road. Retailers may sell this racing gasoline as complying California RFG.

Leaded and unleaded racing fuel that does not meet the California RFG specifications (non-complying racing gasoline) can only be sold, offered for sale, offered for supply, or supplied for use in true, competition racing vehicles. The retailer, i.e. service station, speed shop, auto parts store, fuel distributor, and race track fuel dispensing facility, etc., who is selling or supplying this non-complying gasoline must "take reasonable prudent precautions to assure that the gasoline will be used only in racing vehicles." If the vehicle this fuel is to be used in is registered or licensed for on-road or off-road use, this usually indicates that non-complying racing fuel cannot be used in it and the sale or supply of the fuel should not take place. CARB will consider this and all other relevant circumstances to determine if "reasonable prudent precautions" were followed in any particular case. In evaluating whether "reasonable and prudent precautions" were followed, CARB will consider whether the retailer kept a record of each sale of non-complying racing gasoline and whether each sales record contains the following information:
Date of Fuel Purchase Name, Address, and Telephone Number of Purchaser / User

Brand, Name, and Grade (octane rating) of Fuel Purchased

Type or Description of Vehicle(s) to be Fueled

Is the vehicle(s) to be fueled registered or licensed for on-road use?

Is the vehicle(s) to be fueled registered or licensed for off-road use?

License Number and VIN, if any, of Vehicle(s) to be Fueled

Name of Sanctioned Racing Event

Date of Event

Name of Racing Association or Sanctioning Body

Racing Association or Sanctioning Body Membership ID Number

Signature under penalty of perjury that the gasoline will be used only in the above racing vehicle(s) for the above sanctioned racing event

%u3000
Refiners, blenders, importers, and distributors must also take "reasonable prudent precautions" and prove that adequate steps have been taken to limit sales of non-complying racing fuel to racing vehicles, exclusively. CARB will consider, but is not limited to, the following to be reasonable prudent precautions: import notifications, production reporting, labeling, record keeping, distributor training, and providing customer education materials. The requirement to take reasonable prudent precautions applies to all shipments of non-complying racing fuel regardless of container size, i.e. railcars, cargo tanks, barrels, drums, cans, etc. Specifically for importers and in-state refiners and blenders, in addition to the above, reasonable prudent precautions should include notification to CARB of the import shipment or in-state production, and labeling of each batch and container of non-complying racing gasoline. Refiners, blenders, importers, and distributors may enter into an enforcement protocol with CARB or modify their existing protocol as appropriate. Bulk containers, including but not limited to railcars, cargo tanks, barrels, drums, and cans, as well as bills of lading, delivery tickets, and invoices for all shipments of non-complying racing fuel offered or supplied for sale and use in California must be conspicuously labeled with the following: Legal For Use ONLY In Competition Racing Vehicles

Not Legal For Use In Any Other Motor Vehicle
Letters or statements included with shipping documents outlining the legal uses of the racing fuel, instructions sent to distributors and retailers concerning legal sales and use of racing fuel, or other specific steps outlined in a new or modified enforcement protocol with CARB Enforcement Division, are additional ways for refiners, blenders, importers, and distributors to comply with the taking "reasonable prudent precautions" requirement.

CARB will evaluate whether all of the information discussed in this Advisory #397 is included in the records. The absence of such records or records that lack the above information argue against "reasonable and prudent precautions" having been taken.

This law isn't so bad, its just like the laws in many states that sell farm fuel (mostly diesel) that is dyed a certain color to run in "farm only" trucks and what ever. We have the same here in California for diesel sold in boats. Race gas and these diesels for one do not have the road taxes added on to them. ALso it is a federal crime to run leaded gases on our highways. Also running aviation gas on the streets is illegal for the same reasons I have already given. I know only a few guys who run race gas on the streets and none have them have ever been caught and since the club I am with has cops as members I doubt we would ever get hassled.

ALso if you have to run race gas in your engine here in California, the gas is not going to be your only problem. None of those high comp pistons, cams or blowers are carbed aprroved

The only way i think they would be able to enforce it is if they pull you over for something else (like street racing) and they tack it on to the ticket.

I buy my race gas in a 5 gallon jug, they won't put it in the car(heavy fine). I really don't have problem with that.
I lived in California and they have some strange laws(traffic lites on onramps to interstate(freeway))

I figured if you had a car like that a second smaller fuel cell with a changeover setup would be warranted... I dunno, seems like a good idea, leaded fuel should not be used on the street.

= leaded fuel should not be used on the street.
[S Good grief. We are all going to die.[S

I'm glad I live in Ky. We can pull right up to the pumps that sell it and fill up our tanks in our cars.
Even if they don't enforce the laws we should be worried. One more BS law on the books that they can use when they want to at a later date.

isn't the new race gas no lead? i don't own anything that needs race gas anyway. maybe the new motor i have been collecting parts for but it is going to be twin turbo.

So far in northern IL you can get it at a few gas stations but this state seems to like to follow in others footsteps.

Geesh ! You guys really need to move to Florida, we have no rules here. :D Besides, the cops are too busy with shootings to worry about smelling your gas tank.

Don

I don't see any problem with that except the requirements to state when and where you will be using it...what if you saved some for later and get caught with it after he event? what f the event is canceled and you participate in an alternate event at an alternate location?

otherwise this law just indemnifies the seller is all
essentially it gives the seller a checklist to get the customer to fill out to show he did his due diligence to make sure the fuel isn't used off road
leaded fuel doesn't make your car faster anyway unless you have forced induction.
in naturally aspirated engines under 11:1 compression leaded fuel results in longer track et's due to the lead slowing the combustion.
Everyone i knew that raced carburated engines told me leaded fuel slowed them down until you got over 12:1 compression

CARB is Cali, who cares! Don't live there anymore.

A lot of emissions compliant cities use CARB to pattern their program. When I was doing emissions testing in Anchorage 20-30 years ago, they used the CARB standards.
Without reading the whole lawyer speak, it isn't hard to see why, whether I agree with it or not. Today's fuels are what they are because they are formulated for lower emissions. In a state that has emissions requirements for push lawn mowers, does it surprise you they also dictate what kind of fuel you use in a car that is legal to drive on the road?

Today's fuels are what they are because they are formulated for lower emissions. In a state that has emissions requirements for push lawn mowers, does it surprise you they also dictate what kind of fuel you use in a car that is legal to drive on the road?

I dont want to sound like a crazy or anti goverment but gas is formulated to sell more gas not lower emissions. How can a fuel be lower emissions if you get 10% to 15% less mpg. If it takes 2 gals of fuel to make one gal of ethenal is that saving the earth?

Having lived in CA in the 70's, when you could not see across LA, and taking a breath hurt your lungs, I am not totally against emissions controls. But the way they went about it was ass-backwards. Just test cars at the tailpipe. What are they putting out? It doesn't matter if you have a supercharger, or race gas, or what engine is in the car. All that matters is how much it pollutes. If you have a car that's well-tuned, and in proper running condition, it won't put out a ton of emissions. A new car with bad rings, might be putting out more emissions than an old hot rod. They should just base it on cubic inches. They should come up with an acceptable amount of pollutants per cubic inch, and if you meet the requirements, you are good to go...

The way I had that explained by my inspector was this. The tailpipe test does not duplicate real conditions (although the newer treadmill tests are better) All the tailpipe test was for was to make sure it wasn't dumping loads of fuel. The main thing they looked for was all the proper engine management systems in place and functioning.
And yes, many of us hot rodders and engine tuners can make a hot rod run pretty clean, They didn't have to implement the testing program because of people who took good care of their cars, it was for the other 90 some percent that didn't.
Out of the people from cali who complain on forums, I wonder how many have lobbied or been active in the lawmaking process, or even written to their legislators. California is a beautiful state but I wouldn't live there because I don't like my hands tied.

Latest posts

Back