Slant 6 Rebuild Questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Davidson

I've got a 64 Dodge D100 with a slant 6 and 3 on the tree. The motor smokes & makes a little noise so I'm either gonna freshen this one up or get another one and rebuild it so I don't have any real down time (it's my shop truck & every day driver)

What's a realistic turn around & cost on having this done or should I just buy everything and do it myself less the machine work? Is there much I can do performance wise & still keep fuel economy & dependability?

Where to get the rebuild kit?

Quickest turnaround would be a good used engine from a wrecker. Dodge used the SS up to about '93, so there are lots of them out there. The newer ones have a different head without the plug wells, and they are quite a bit lighter, but they do fit your older chassis and trans. If you find a newer one, get the electronic ignition and wiring harness with it.
If your block and pistons are reusable, rings, bearings and a valve job shouldn't run more than $500 if you find a good deal on the head work. If it runs real well, you might be able to do without the valve grind for a quickie $300 job.

Price wise I am not sure. A mild performance build should keep the fuel mileage close to the same or better. I would assemble myself and find a dual exhaust header, that really wakes up a 6. Depending on the machine shop probably at least 2 weeks down time.

I am a huge fan of the leaning tower of power ! 2k is about right for a build...But a 318 or 360 will fit in those vans ! Im not to sure if cycledog has any thing left but he did have some slant parts for sale. This is one a friend has been building.

Attachments

• rat rod.jpg
    rat rod.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 6
Rebuild

Worked for Dodge for 14 years even with todays crappy ripoff prices $2600 to rebuild a 225 slant is plain highway robbery and as far as the guy that said its reasonable,thats crazy $500 for the machine work is dead on get the parts and go for it,just by experience new oil pump and prime it .good luck.:cool:

Latest posts

Back