Some thoughts about Hurricane Sandy.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Like probably most of you, I have been watching all the coverage of the horrible aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. So many people have lost their homes and in some cases their lives........this is really a bad one for sure.

But I have also seen things that make a person realize we humans are not as bad as we think we are sometimes. It seems whenever something like this happens, or 9/11 too, we humans tend to put aside all of our differences about religion, race, and politics, and we become compassionate toward our fellow man and roll up our sleeves to help one another.

For example, I was just watching TV and there was a video of where people who have electricity are stringing extension cords out windows with signs saying "Please feel free to charge your cell phones here." That may seem like a small thing, but really it isn't small to the person whose only link with other people is their phone and it is going dead. The people who are providing that electricity are simply looking for a way to do something, anything, to help people they do not even know.

Even the pictures of Government Officials who have put aside political differences and who are working side by side to help people makes a powerful message about how we are all pretty much the same when you strip away all of the insignificant issues, and get down to our basic makeup.

Strange as it might sound, I hated seeing all of the devastation but have a very good feeling about the future of America because of how everyone is coming together and helping people in any way they can. God bless America.

Don

i saw this putting things aside and helping after the arpil tornado's here in alabama, it's a great thing to see, but like you i hate what brings it out.

Sometimes in my profession you can become cynical...

hard not too at times.... it's times like this that you see the good side of people come out......too bad it takes stuff like this for people to display the good side though....

We have the big blows down here all the time & during Ike... lots of peeps power was out for 2-3 weeks & it was hell gettin' gas, food & even $$$ since the power was out. Really shows you how fragile our whole way of life is sometimes. Luckily I filled all my cars up & had plenty to share with friends & family!

BoB

Bob, when you see what happened so quickly in the NY, NJ area, it does make you realize how our lives can go from normal to utter madness in hours. The things you see in the Mad Max movies may be fantasy, but you can see how the world would go nuts if there was a REALLY huge event.

When we had hurricanes hit down here I saw people acting like animals, fighting at gas pumps and over a loaf of bread at the grocery store. I remember during the gas crunch in the late 70's we would be sitting at work and someone would come back from lunch and tell us they saw a gas station somewhere pumping gas and the whole place would clear out.

The people building those survival bunkers may not be as crazy as we think after all.

Don

was a video of where people who have electricity are stringing extension cords out windows with signs saying "Please feel free to charge your cell phones here"...

Yeah I thought that was cool. NYers get a bad rap about being rude and whatnot but they have a very strong sense of community up there. If you're "from the neighborhood" then people will really go out of thier way to help you. They are rude to strangers.

We see people acting crazy around here during hurricanes too. I can't help but think its partly because everyone has been through it several times and remembers what its like to be out of water, batteries, etc. So you get the hoarders and people freaking out.

NYers aren't used to this, it's a shock to them. I bet next time you will see alot more of the hoarding behavior we see in the hurricane prone areas.

My comment was going to be to tell Don to give it a few days and see how people are acting. Guess it's already going down hill. First there are stories about people being nice and leaving power cords out for others to charge their phones. I soon expect to see a story where someone gets killed or at least brutally beaten in a fight over who gets to charge their phone first.

Like probably most of you, I have been watching all the coverage of the horrible aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. So many people have lost their homes and in some cases their lives........this is really a bad one for sure.

But I have also seen things that make a person realize we humans are not as bad as we think we are sometimes. It seems whenever something like this happens, or 9/11 too, we humans tend to put aside all of our differences about religion, race, and politics, and we become compassionate toward our fellow man and roll up our sleeves to help one another.

For example, I was just watching TV and there was a video of where people who have electricity are stringing extension cords out windows with signs saying "Please feel free to charge your cell phones here." That may seem like a small thing, but really it isn't small to the person whose only link with other people is their phone and it is going dead. The people who are providing that electricity are simply looking for a way to do something, anything, to help people they do not even know.

Even the pictures of Government Officials who have put aside political differences and who are working side by side to help people makes a powerful message about how we are all pretty much the same when you strip away all of the insignificant issues, and get down to our basic makeup.

Strange as it might sound, I hated seeing all of the devastation but have a very good feeling about the future of America because of how everyone is coming together and helping people in any way they can. God bless America.

Don
Kum bi ya didn't last too long

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/queens-residents-arm-looters-article-1.1196031

Latest posts

Back