Starter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52 fordman

I was wondering when ford went to 12 V ? I have a 50 flat inline 6, i got a starter out of a salvage yard. Is it 6 V or 12 V ? If it is 6 V can it be rebuilt for 12 V or can it be used as is? I am planning on doing a 12 V setup. as there are no wires at all in the truck.

52 fordman

Ford went to 12v in 1956 and stopped building the flathead 6 in 1953. You can get away with using the 6 volt starter for awhile but it will eventually burn out because 12 v will make it spin much faster. May last longer if the tune up is good and your motor starts up quickly so the starter doesn't have to work to hard. The 6 volt starter can be converted to 12 v by a good auto electric shop but you will have to look hard to find the right shop.

starter

Fuzz thank you for the info, I will start looking for a shop to convert it to 12V. I still have plenty of work to do before i get to driving it. It takes time and money and like alot of us here i have more time then money.

52 fordman

Like my grand father said
rust never sleeps

Latest posts

Back