Stick shift cars are good !

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Tonight when I got home from work my Son Dan suggested we take our rods out for a little drive to get some dinner. Didn't have to ask me twice. :D So we drove down to Ft Myers Beach and ate at a little streetside diner. Lots of people flocking around both cars and taking lots of pictures.

When it was time to go I got in my 27 and hit the starter. All I got was a solid CLUNK and then nothing. :eek: I knew what that was, the starter pinion had jammed into the flywheel and it was stuck. We put the car in gear and rocked it back and forth, and even beat on the starter with a pair of vice grips, but still nothing.

Ford starters are a cinch to remove, with only two bolts that are easy to access, so I dropped it down and removed it. I taped up the end of the battery cable so it wouldn't touch anything, cleaned up the tools, and had Dan push me a few feet so I could pop the clutch in second. Luckily, it fired up immediately and I was ready to make the drive home.

No sin on this starter, it is about 25 years old and I simply repainted it and reused it when I freshened up the car a few years ago. Tomorrow I will pick up a new one at Advance Auto and will be good to go. If I get 25 years out of this new one it will probably outlive me. :eek: I even have a $10 off coupon for Advance so it will only cost me about $ 40.

I kept thinking how good it was that I had a stick shift otherwise I would have been calling AAA for a ride home.

Don

Here is a bad cell phone picture of our cars before the mayhem.

GetAttachmentaspx_zps3ca19ee6.jpg

I agree about the reman stuff not being good, and I have had HORRIBLE luck with anything Duralast that Autozone sells, but I have had good luck with Advance Auto with their parts. I called our local store and they will have one brought over to that store this morning for me to pick up.

On a scale of one to ten this breakdown was about a 2. I had a few wrenches under my seat but Dan has two ammo boxes built into the bed of his rpu and one of them holds tools, so we had sockets and wrenches to do the removal. It took me all of 5 minutes to drop it out. I considered putting it back in and trying it once I freed up the pinion gear to see if it would start one more time to get me home, but I didn't want to take the chance of it hanging up in the flywheel again and ruining it. I knew the car would start pretty easy by popping the clutch, so that was the best option.

Don

Don, your story reminded me of the may times during my youth that we bump started my cars and my friends' cars.
I have the parts for a 4 speed slant six and small block (and 6 cyl) Chevy. Seriously thinking about a stick car build soon. Only my achy joints and disintegrating muscles say "No". Should do it anyway.
We're looking at winter storm warnings for the next few days. Seeing your beautiful hot rods in front of the diner is so cool. I'm jealous.

Bob, we're really enjoying these nice months right now because right around the corner we are going to have our usual, brutal Summer heat and humidity. :eek: Yesterday was in the low 80's and it was in the mid 70's last night when we were out driving around.............this is our favorite time of year.

Don

I have never had a car that didnt have 3 pedals...wouldnt know how to drive one that didnt have 3 pedals...3 pedals are real cars.....if you cant drive a 3 pedal car you should not be driving around anyways...IMHO...

Oh yeah guess how many pedals my rat rod has???

MikeC

Picked up the new starter and got it on. Car fired right up. It is one from Advance Auto but it has a lifetime warranty, so even if it was rebuilt in China it should be ok. The last one was a reman and it lasted 25 years, and I've had good luck with stuff from Advance.

Don

I'm so old I remember when you could push start

an automatic.....imagine that.... Nice you could fix it.....we only have Autozone with the duraBLAST parts or Oreily's.....closest Advanced is 15 miles.....so slim pickins.....did I say Slim Pickens???

Attachments

• slim pickens.gif
    slim pickens.gif
    61.1 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back