To flip or to Z ? That is the question !

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyotb8

Asking for some opinions...To get my old Plymouth pickup ('39) low enough, I've got to either flip the front axle on top of the front leaf springs (and maybe "c" notch the frame a little, OR...Z the frame at the front of the cab.
I already have planned to Z the rear half of the frame for the rear drop.
I want to use the solid front axle and leaves, but the steering changes needed when flipping the axle are a concern. The Z front and rear seems the simplest from an engineering point. Welding quality is not a concern, got that covered with a pro. The truck is blown apart now, so pics may not be too helpful. Just looking for experiences both ways to help me decide. Thanks much !!!:confused:

Ok.
I'll go first.:)
How much of a drop are you going for?
Underslung fronts(Moving the axle from below the springs to above it) probably will give you less drop than to Z the frame. The point off a Z is to drop the area where the body sits and to leave the areas where the suspension attaches closer to their original configuration.
If welding is not a concern I would go with the Z as I think that they "Look" better than a c-notch in the front.
Also give us some more details as to the style of build you intend.
Just my 2 cents.
Torchie.

Using fenders...

I forgot to mention that I'm using fenders and running boards, so a Z will be hidden. The frame is 6" tall, so the truck would drop that far, the axle flip would drop it about 4-4.5". The z will solve some issues, I think, no need to redesign the steering for the bumpsteer problems, and scrub line would still be safe. To get it down to about 6-7" from street to bottom of running boards, the Z gets it done. Anybody else want to comment ?

I'll recomment.
You will be dropping the body down with the Z. So with running boards as well as fenders you will be dropping them down a like amount.. Is there a reason that you aren't just channeling the body on the stock frame. And how well will the fenders fit with the front Z'd.
Not changing my remark about the Z.... But based on your last adittion of the fenders, the only time that I would go with a notched front frame would be if it had the front sheetmetal on it to hide it. Notching it would probably make it easier to fit the front sheetmetal back on.
Start a build thread and post some pics.[P[P
Torchie.

Hey Torchie, Thanks for the comments. The front grille and fenders (clip) are held to the frame by the core support and the rear of the front fenders sit on the edge of the running boards. A front Z in the frame would require a fabbed front core support to sit 6" lower. More welding/fabbing. But that would keep the front axle/steering O.E.,(simpler). Channeling the body over the frame is an option, the core support would still need fab work. I guess I'm just trying too hard and over-planning this, just hate to cut it up if there is a simpler way. I fugure I need about a 6" drop over all to get the look I want, and I don't want a frame swap or a MII front set up. I'll start a build thread when I can have some pics to show. Thanks again for your input.

Since you're planning on fenders, I don't think the Z is the way to go. Why not look into a dropped axle in combo with an axle flip? Sure, you'll have some steering stuff to figure out, but this will make a lot of other things much easier. Don't forget that if you're planning on different sized tires that could contribute to a drop as well.

Since you're planning on fenders, I don't think the Z is the way to go. Why not look into a dropped axle in combo with an axle flip? Sure, you'll have some steering stuff to figure out, but this will make a lot of other things much easier. Don't forget that if you're planning on different sized tires that could contribute to a drop as well.

Hello, I looked at some pics of your truck . That's the way I want mine to sit ! My old plymouth is the same style as your truck. What size wheels and tires are you running ? Have you ever measured it from the running board to the street ? It looks killer ! Also, thanks for the idea about a dropped axle on top of the springs . A couple of my buddies have cars with no "scrub" line. They say don't worry so much . Keep good tires on it. What's your opinion ? Thanks for the comments, by the way !

Hello, I looked at some pics of your truck . That's the way I want mine to sit ! My old plymouth is the same style as your truck. What size wheels and tires are you running ? Have you ever measured it from the running board to the street ? It looks killer ! Also, thanks for the idea about a dropped axle on top of the springs . A couple of my buddies have cars with no "scrub" line. They say don't worry so much . Keep good tires on it. What's your opinion ? Thanks for the comments, by the way !

The wheels and tires are:

Front: Wheels: 15x8 Wheel Vintiques Artillery reversed with 3.5" backspace
Tires: Don't quite remember 205/60/15 Maybe, or 215/60/15, 205/65? I'll check...

Rear: Wheels: 15x10 Wheel Vintiques Artillery reversed with 3.75" backspace
Tires: 31x10.5R15

I've measured it from the running board from the street but don't remember off hand. Probably 7" at the front of the board, or something like that. I think there is a 1-1.5 rake from front to back of the board. It's hard to measure on bent boards. Just set it up how you want it, don't worry about what others have done. Every truck body is different, and I set mine up so that the front end and boards (and everything else) were high enough to clear speed bumps but it still has an awesome stance and rake.

I definitely think scrub line is important if you plan to put lots of miles on the truck. I would figure out what kind of stance you want and what size front tires you're going to run, then you can figure out if you need a drop axle or just a flip will work.

Thanks for the advice. I've got a good idea the wheels and tires to use. I agree, roadkill, speedbumps and steep driveways (like mine) can be trouble when their too low !

Latest posts

Back