tubing thickness

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Crusty Rusty Old Rat Rodder!
I am ready to pick up my tubing for my dodge and I need some input. I am going with 2x4 3/16 for the frame. My question is on the tubing for the floor. What gauge tubing should be used for the floor framing? I will be using 1x1 and 1x2 tubing. Also, what gauge sheet metal should be used for the floor? [S

Thanks,
Randy

I am ready to pick up my tubing for my dodge and I need some input. I am going with 2x4 3/16 for the frame. My question is on the tubing for the floor. What gauge tubing should be used for the floor framing? I will be using 1x1 and 1x2 tubing. Also, what gauge sheet metal should be used for the floor? [S

Thanks,
Randy

I buy all my small stuff out of the local metal shops scrap bin , way cheaper that way . I always pick the heavy stuff . Even when buying long sticks the difference in price is not very much , so I go with the heaver gauge when possible .

Good move on the 3/16 for the main rails. For the subframe 1/8 inch will be ok, as would 3/16, but I would go with 1/8 for that part, in fact, that is what I did use when I made my subframe.

Don

I decided not to buy any frame tubing, figured all I could do was tack it together and screw that up. Sooooooooooooo I went up Cornfield Customs today and talked to Mike the owner. He will be building my frame in the near future[cl. He and his wife are extremely nice people and it was a pleasure meeting them.

Here are some pics I took at Cornfield Customs today. I took more but the rest were crappy.
hotrod 067.jpg

hotrod 068.jpg
no the boss 429 is not for sale
hotrod 069.jpg

hotrod 070.jpg

hotrod 071.jpg

hotrod 072.jpg
Mike the owner
hotrod 005.jpg
Last 2 pics are of my body going on the new frame
hotrod 006.jpg

Latest posts