Upholstery patch?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Patina

Anybody ever sew a patch over a rip in a cloth seat without removing the seat. I took mine to a pro and he said it's impossible, can't be done. I can get matching material and I'd just like to sew a patch on it.

Anybody ever do it like that? any tips or ideas? I'm not looking for perfection, just want something to keep it from getting worse. I don't care if it looks like a patch.

If it is on cloth and you don't care if it looks like a patch then use an iron-on patch. They are available in a few colors at any fabric store and you can even buy them at Wal-Mart, etc. type stores. If applied properly they stick very well, and if you are so inclined you can run a stitch around it to help keep it from peeling in the future. Good luck...

Hmm that would probably work pretty well, but the thing is that I can get the exact replacement material (it's a '60s GM pattern). I was thinking of getting the same material and sewing a panel over what's there. If I could get just the iron on glue material and sandwich it in there it would be perfect.. but now that you mention it, I could probably iron on a patch and then sew/glue a piece of the matching stuff over the top of the whole thing. that would probably be pretty strong.

The hardest part is the sewing itself. Get a curved needle and it can be done easy enough though. Curved needles are quite common at pretty much any fabric and sewing store, or dept store. I would try to fold the edge under a 1/4 or 3/8 inch and sew it on a regular machine first if it's not to heavy a material. That will stop it from fraying. Also try to keep the corners rounded, so they don't get caught and pulled as much when you slide in and out of the seat like a pointed corner will. If you use the same style lock stitch that the leather sewers use, it will be neat and tidy and quite strong. I found a picture of a curve needle, I'll scan the instruction sheet from my leather stitcher for the lock stitch so you'll have that as well.

Attachments

• Hand_sewing_needles_curved.jpg
    Hand_sewing_needles_curved.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 5
Ok, got a couple more pictures for you. Since your working from one side only, you will have to modify the lock stitch shown. A baseball stitch leaves a lot of exposed thread which will wear through and fail in short order. The lock stitch will 'bury' into the material and will be protected extending the life by a lot. The other thing is the thread itself. Don't use a cotton or cotton blend thread. UV light will cause it to 'rot' and fail. Polyester would be the better bet. Small spools of polyester are available and don't cost much, ($4.00 or there about for a 1000 ft spool.) You might find smaller amounts on bobbins, I have never looked, I just load my own. I have used this stuff on canvas and awnings and get 8 years or so out of it. In fact the awning material poops out before the thread does. Anyway, there you have it, that's how I would tackle it. Best of luck.

Attachments

• Stitching.jpg
    Stitching.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Upholstery Thread Polyester.jpg
    Upholstery Thread Polyester.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 26
I highly doubt a "True Upholsterer" would recommend a patch. It will look exactly as it sounds - a patch. Have the panel the tear is in replaced by a reputable Upholsterer. It's not that much, but will last much longer! (and look good too!)

Ok....a while back I saw some fabric repair stuff

Anybody ever sew a patch over a rip in a cloth seat without removing the seat. I took mine to a pro and he said it's impossible, can't be done. I can get matching material and I'd just like to sew a patch on it.

Anybody ever do it like that? any tips or ideas? I'm not looking for perfection, just want something to keep it from getting worse. I don't care if it looks like a patch.

(think it was on Trucks / powerblock)that used a clear fabric adhesive and you used the pile / fuzz for lack of a better word, from an area of the material that isn't real visible...you scrap a bunch of the loose fuzz up with a razor blade and then use it to "mend" the tear.....not sure what the shape of the tear is and if this is feasable but might be an idea to fix it.....[S

Latest posts

Back