Very basic, lightweight shift handle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animal

My coupe's shifter had a baseball-sized dummy grenade for a shift knob....heavy danged thing! I was afraid the weight, coupled with the Gennie Shifter not having any detents, might cause the shifter to change gears upon hitting a good bump or two. I wanted a shifter handle that was lightweight, and I didn't want some Autozone special. This fits me....it's really basic, comfortable, and super light. I used a piece of old handlebar tubing, a bushing, a threaded connector, and a bicycle grip. It's hollow, so I can keep the registration and insurance papers in it. And, best of all, I've got less than 10$ in the whole thing with a spare grip. :)

Attachments

• DSCF1255.jpg
    DSCF1255.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF1250.jpg
    DSCF1250.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF1253.jpg
    DSCF1253.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 74
Heck, if you are looking for leather wrap on the cheap, my son just did a bit of a "rat bicycle" for himself - and he used tennis racket grip on his handle bars. It feels like leather, is the right colour, and might be just the ticket you are looking for.

Just a thought....

Heck, if you are looking for leather wrap on the cheap, my son just did a bit of a "rat bicycle" for himself - and he used tennis racket grip on his handle bars. It feels like leather, is the right colour, and might be just the ticket you are looking for.

Just a thought....

Thanks...that just might work! :)

My wife reminded me that I have a box of leather scraps, lacing, conchos, etc. from when I used to make western-themed jewelry and accessories.....it's tuff getting old (I'd spaced it out). I'll dig it out and see what happens. The problem is, once I start, I'll probably be wrapping other stuff in leather......but hey, that might be a good thing! :D

Latest posts

Back