Where to start wiring?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I was about to start wiring my truck and just wanted to know where to start. I imagine I need to mount the fuse block first, but where do I start from there? Do I start from the front and work my way back? I've never done this but it doesn't look like it takes a rocket scientist.

I found this basic diagram. My wiring kit has some instructions too.

www.nationaltbucketalliance.com/tech_info/electrical/wschematic/wiring.asp

There is no startin point per say. Start where you want and progressively work from there. When I wired my A, I started at the rear and worked forward. I did lights, dash and engine compartment last. Take your time and make sure all your connections are secure. I had a 20 circut kit that I only used about 12-14 circuts so I had to remove the ones I did not want out of the fuse block first. Even with everything labled and somewhat arranged it still took me about a month to wire the entire car. However, bein a mechanic and seein how cars today are wired, I wanted to make everything accessable and easy to trace and repair if needed in the future. Wire loom, heat shrink, good stripper and crimper, zip ties, and time are all your friend when doin a good wiring job. Oh yea, and patience:confused:. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks gearhead10, I'm sure I will have plenty of questions. Nothing on this scale but I used to play around with wiring when I was a kid... take all my remote control cars apart and make a monster 4 wheel drive truck using 4 little motors. You pretty much just have to follow the current, use the right size wire and fitting and ALWAYS have a good ground.

Thanks again.

when ever I wire a rod or bike ...I start with the longest wires first and work to the shorter. It is easier to "loom" or fish the long wires through all the lil tight spots with out all the shorter wires in the way.

I always mount the fuse block first and work from there longest to shortest....

Yo KD-- I think for wireing to come out well, it requires more planning and organization than other parts of a rat build. For me, 'Gettin Funky', and goofing around N being creative seems to work well on the body and even drivetrain and suspension to a degree, but wireing requires a straight, clear, direct mind, that I often don't have. :)

Since being like that resembles work too much I have actually got help with it!!

Unless you are real organized, clear thinking, methodical, and detail oriented, -My advice would be--

Get some one else to do it!! Life is too short to 'work' for a hobby!!

Find an electrician that needs a logo or something and do some trading..

I hate to admit it--My wire work sucks--even when I TRY!!!

PA41

Last edited:
When rewiring my jeep I tried to make it as simple as possible. Figure out everything you need to supply power too, and everything needed to supply the power. I then took some fairly accurate measurements of lengths of wires and how I planned to run the wires. Then made a taped out pattern on the garage floor and ran the wires on the garage floor following the taped out lines (saw them do it this way on a TV show and it made sense to me to copy it). Then loomed them all together before trying to put them in place, and then once that was done strung them into the jeep. I found it pretty simple, the only thing I found hard was to figure out everything that needed power, and then figuring out placement. As said above a clear plan of attack, and knowing what is going where is the biggest part of the battle (or was for me).

Got the fuse panel mounted under the dash to the right of the steering column... not enough room on the left side. The Rebel Wire harness I got is VERY self explanitory. It looked scary when I pulled it out but after looking at it and separating the wires (which they pretty much did already) it looks to be a cinch.

It took me most of the day to figure out where exactly I wanted my fuse panel, but once I finally got that mounted I got all the power wires to the gauges (just need to hook up senders). I also got the rear stuff separated and pulled down the frame to the rear. I pretty much have everything where it needs to go... I just need to cut to length and add the proper fittings to the ends of the wires. I got a really cool starter switch from my father-in-law. I'll post a pic later. I may need help figuring out what hooks up to what on that part.

I recommend Rebel Wire to anyone (as far as running the wire... I haven't tested it yet). The wires are all color coded and marked in detail with instructions making it VERY easy. I'm a very mathematical oriented person so this all lays out pretty simple to me. I don't even want to think about wiring a newer motor yet though... hehehe.

The main thing I may need help with is the wiring on my steering column
. I'm using a 64 mustang steering column and can't find a good diagram of it. I'm sure I can figure it out and may even just run my blinkers on a toggle switch or something. I want everything hidden.

I've used Rebel wiring in mine. If you have any questions give them a call and they will walk you through it step by step. I think his name is Glenn. They are super helpful, probably best tech support ever.

Sounds like your gettin a good start. When testin your work when done use a battery charger set on 10 amp. Its enough to power up the system without doin damage if something is not wired properly. Just hook it to the starter as if you would the battery. I used a 69 couger column in mine and it was a bit tricky cuz ford wiring diagrams are a bit vague. Google mustang wiring and you'll find alot of info. There are a few guys on the forum here that have some good diagrams also.

Wiring

Hey Kelsey, found a wiring schematic in my files. Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• 66exter1 Ford column wiring.jpg
    66exter1 Ford column wiring.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 56
Thanks Gearhead. I got everything done now. I ended up making my own turn signal switch so no need to the steering column wiring. I appreciate it though. I got both turn signals on one switch.. It took me forever to figure out. Now I just have too figure out how to wire my hazards.

Latest posts

Back