1950 Ford "Shoebox"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShoeBoxSean

I'm starting this thread of things done, in process of and like to do. I'm going to post what pics I can. I'm not very familiar with forums so I'll do my best.
I'll start with what's been done. Keep in mind that time and lack of mechanical knowledge was one of the main reasons for finding a car this far along. I was lucky enough to find one that "in my mind" most likely would have liked to see done anyway. Solid and reliable.

New floors, rockers, and lower rear panels.
Complete sub frame from a 93 S-10
Brakes and steering parts from an S-10
E-Z wiring 12 volt harness and all new gauges
New mustang radiator and fuel tank
lowered 3" front and rear
Shmitty's exhaust
Wiper only works on the driver's side and the motor for it is from a rear Blazer motor from the early 90's
American Racing rims
motor is a 350 from 78
700 R4 trans from 87
taillights are l.e.d.
steering column is from the late 60's

It's been a solid driver so far and a lot of fun.

I found 2 center bullets off a 53 Ford. After I found out what the grill bar was on the front and saw the bullet that originally went there. The plan is to put 2 off center. Should go nice with the turn signals that are off the rear of a Cadillac. I'm trying to upload pic but I'm having a hard time. I have photos of the bullets before and I have to get the after resent to me. I also acquired the upper grill trim from a 51 Ford to fit under the hood. That should come together nicely. At least in my head it does.

Attachments

• IMG_0912.jpg
    IMG_0912.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Changed the caps on the rims along with taking down what was left of the headliner above the doors.

Attachments

• IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 21
Here's a few shots of the dash. I had the brass knuckles put on the shifter replacing what used to be there. I have new ignition switch to put in as there is only 1 key now and its worn out and a pain to turn now. I have to replace the lighter/power outlet as it stopped working for some reason.

Attachments

• IMG_0915.jpg
    IMG_0915.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0916.jpg
    IMG_0916.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0914.jpg
    IMG_0914.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 27
Update

It's been awhile but work is getting done. There is a new ignition replacing the old worn one. Driver side door hinge pins replaced and doors adjusted. Tried to add weatherstripping around the door but it was so thick and wouldn't give much and the door was not able to be adjusted so I had that idea scrapped for now. New car carpet to replace the house carpet that was used. Now the door sills I had could go on. Trunk popper was fixed so that locks now and works great. I had thought brake pads needed replacing but they were just dirty. Found a driver side vent window to replace the broken one there. Had to find a 51 hood latch pan to change with the 50 being the hood is 51 and I want the trim to the 51. It was the best way rather than trying to make it fit. The 53 bullets have been fitted and mounted to the bar. I should have the car back in a week and then have the grill painted. After that I want to have insulation put up as there is no headliner. Help with the heat a little in the summer.

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpg
    IMG_1061.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1037.jpg
    IMG_1037.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1062.jpg
    IMG_1062.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1075.JPG
    IMG_1075.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 25
Cool ride! One of my first oldies (at age 15) was a 1950 more door sedan... Never got her finished, but it was fun putting in volare front and rear, 318/904...

Here is a photo of the hood in process of being cut to sit atop the trim properly and the finished grill. I'm just going to rattle can the hood and drive for now. As soon as I touch base with my friend who paints I'm going to have the grill painted grey like the center grill bar.

Attachments

• IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 32
Insulation

I finally insulated the roof. I was at Lowes and found items that worked out really well. took a few hours, but had a good time doing it. So far so good. It's been over a week and still holding up in the heat. Only smell was the first day from the spray. Other than that it's all good. Has definitely made a difference with heat and noise reduction. Having trouble posting pics right now. I'll try again later.

Very cool car and build. I almost bought one of these when I was 16, for my first car and my grandparents talked me out of it. I've always regretted not buying it. These are by far one of my favorite classic cars. [dr

Good luck with the build. I'll be watching [P

Latest posts

Back