Tools Needed for a Beginner

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinaryData

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for tools to buy, things that I'll need right awhile. I know the basics Metric/US Size Sockets, Wrenches etc.

How powerful of a Welder do I need? Do I need a plasma cutter? I'm a former welder, 2.5 years in HS but that was almost a decade ago (Oh my god, I'm getting old! :eek:).

I currently have a two car garage that has no vehicles in it. I'm clearing the junk out to put an engine lift and mount into.

I have a Harbor Freight in town too! My brother keeps stealing my monthly magazine, haha.

I'll also need a way to lock these tools down. My younger brother has a knack for borrowing things and not putting them back. I don't want to spend $2,000 on tools, only to find out he left one in the gravel and it's ruined. I'd have to break ankles with a torque wrench:mad:

What kinda work are you going to be into? Body work, panel repairs, paint, etc..

Or Mechanic work, engine work, suspension, transmissions, etc?

I do a little bit of it all and the tool buying never ends. They are expensive so collecting tools takes time. I usually go buy what I need for that job and then I always have it for the next time. I just recently purchased the Ball Joint Remover kit from Harbor Freight for $90 and it worked just like I need it to.

For your general repairs in the shop a 140 amp mig welder should do most of the small work.

There is a thread on RRR somewhere - I couldnt seem to find it though.

The most basic tools I would suggest:

***JACK STANDS***

3/8" sockets (six point if you can get them - they don't round of bolts as much)
extensions
box/open wrench set

set of screwdrivers
set of various pliers
vise grips
utility knife

ball peen hammer
BFH

pry bar

Variable speed drill and bits (dont get bits from HF, they dull quick)

4" grinder/cutoff

2 medium C-clamps
Jack

Then when you can or as needed:

multi-meter
test leads
swivel exptensions
deepwell sockets
1/2" socket set
1/4" socket set
torque wrench
breaker bar
step bits (good from HF)
ratchet wrenches
GOOD wire cutter/stripper/crimper tool
more vise grips

Don't forget a good hack saw! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

Attachments

• hack.jpg
    hack.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 19
Ok..not to be a smarta$$..

There is a thread on RRR somewhere - I couldnt seem to find it though.

The most basic tools I would suggest:

***JACK STANDS***

3/8" sockets (six point if you can get them - they don't round of bolts as much)
extensions
box/open wrench set

set of screwdrivers
set of various pliers
vise grips
utility knife

ball peen hammer
BFH

pry bar

Variable speed drill and bits (dont get bits from HF, they dull quick)

4" grinder/cutoff

2 medium C-clamps
Jack

Then when you can or as needed:

multi-meter
test leads
swivel exptensions
deepwell sockets
1/2" socket set
1/4" socket set
torque wrench
breaker bar
step bits (good from HF)
ratchet wrenches
GOOD wire cutter/stripper/crimper tool
more vise grips

How do you find old ones like the you must be a ratrodder if threads and not the tool thread??? LOL...:D...ok...yes I'm being me...a smarta$$

Binary....

To be honest...after the basic's...you never know what you'll need until you find you don't have one, can't borrow one, never saw one, or never knew there was one....
As a former auto tech, I figured I had about anything I'd ever need....I was wrong...so above the basic hand tools and air tools, welder or electric cut offs or angle grinders, you'll probably won't know until you are into the build...

Go easy on the Harbor Freight! There are some OK items there but a lot of it is junk, plus it's sending a good chunk of your money right out of the country.

My best tip for affordable QUALITY tools? Start scouring your local estate sales, flea markets and garage sales. You can often find quality old tools at a fraction of what they would cost new, and they are WAY better than any new Chinese junk. Over a short time you can build a really respectable tool collection if you do the legwork...

I always figured if you can build a hotrod, you can build a few tools too when those normal everyday tools just don't do what you want...[S:D

What BED said about HF tools. Generally anything that is meant to cut - doesn't for very long. Stuff with a motor either doesnt have good power or won't last long. Screwdrivers will twist. Wrenches and sockets arent as accurate in sizes.

They are mostly throw away tools.

That being said, I do have a lot of HF tools. Mostly, they get tossed in my vehicles or get loaned out.

I'm with the rest of the crew on the HF stuff.
I've bought several things from them and would only buy a couple in the future.

Alright. Ixnay on the HF. We do have Napa, O'Reilly's and a few other stores. We do have a Fastner's too.

I'll order what I need too online then. My father was a mechanic, he always bought Snap On, my mom bought him Craftsman one time. I'm not sure he spoke to her for 2 days. Anyways, thanks for the advice on HF, I wouldn't have known until I bought stuff.

I bought a 6 Ton Floor Jack for my brother, wondering if that was a mistake now. Also got 4x 4 Ton Jack Stands for him. Hoping these hold up for his needs. Granted, I paid about $225 for it all, including shipping.

Some HF stuff isn't awful, just be aware of why it is so cheap. Good place to go for one-time/rare use stuff. I do know their double flare kit is the exact same one I bought at NAPA - I paid 4x as much for it. :mad: Keep in mind, a lot places have 2 different qualities of tool lines, and the cheaper line could be no better than HF stuff at more cost.

Snap-On, MAC, and MATCO are great for the pros, but way expensive for the average DIY guy. Craftsman is still a solid choice. They all have good warranties, but nobody covers you loosing it or your neighbor never returning it. There are many others.

Maybe this link will help: Looking for good wrenches?

Last edited:
My luck with harbor freight is about 50/50
Some things are just fine
Dead blow hammers for instance
Cargo straps
The drill and the small impact are fine
The half inch impact died right away

If you do a lot of welding on body panels, or are going to in the future, I'd suggest about a dozen or so butt clamps. They sell at Eastwood and harbor freight and are about the same quality. Otherwise, buy tools as you need to. That way it doesn't hurt so bad. No reason to go out and buy 6k in tools and half of them you don't use for a year or so. If you end up doing a lot of custom brake lines, get the type from eastwood. The generic ones work fine for here and there but it gets tiresome and the tips on the smallest die break off after 5 or 6 flares.

tools disappearing ?

I am a geezer, 72. I was taught by my Dad to never loan your tools. They mysterious never are seen again. My Dad only let me use his tools at home. Never at my house. I taught this to my son and am teaching to my grandsons the same.

As many of you some are custom made, as a "pickle fork" ball joint remover. A friend machinist made two of them. One for him and me.

Some may think as stingy but I still have all the tool set I received at 14 as a Christmas gift. OOP`s my son now has 99% of my tools. I`m disabled and not able to use.

As I grew up friends needed to borrow tools. I said no! But I took needed tools to their house and helped fix their problem.

I have a lot of SnapOn, Mac, Craftsman, etc tools, but I also buy a lot at HF. They are getting better quality wise, and some of their stuff is actually very good, like their drill bits, cut off wheels, jacks, and some hand tools.

I have a $300 Sears jack that leaks like mad, and has done that from the beginning, but my $ 100 HF 4 ton jack just keeps on ticking. Even the techs where I used to work, who had SnapOn and other expensive tools, would go to HF and pick up some tools.

I also use their spray guns for painting and, if I am tired at the end of a long day, I just toss them in the garbage because they are so cheap, and they work great.

Not every hobbyist needs SnapOn quality tools (and they are not what they once were either). I pick up OLD Craftsman tools at swap meets and garage sales because those were when they were made well, but no more, the new ones are junk.

Don

Some H-F stuff is ok I have two rollawys with top boxes. They are great for the price. I can't justify the price of snap on or other tool truck brands. Thier impact sockets have held up very well. H-F vise grips are absolutly garbage. It is hit and miss. I do profesional welding and mechanic work on the side. I would not trust thier welders for the type of work I do but other may find them good as a starting point or for light duty work and panel work.If you are considering some thing you are going to buy, new or used or from H=F just ask here. Some one is always willing to help.

Latest posts

Back