1937 Ford Pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kenny .. is the cab bolted solid down ?? that can alter door gaps

may be hinge alignment as well. Things do sag after 50-60years - ask Dolly

My 2 cents...
If the belt lines line up you are golden.
A little round rod goes a long way to getting your gaps.
Most likely the cab is out of square. Hinges will sag but doors don’t usually become un square.
Looking good kenny. You can get there from here.
Torchie

Thanks guys. I beat on it tonight and I'm happy with it. I put a piece of 3" channel across the passenger door opening and one across the top of the door at the rear and a 3" block of wood in the door jam at the bottom rear. Then I pulled the top in with a ratchet strap. That got the twist out. After that I pulled the hinge pins and the plates out of the jams. I bent them a little in the press and put them back together. Now I have 3/16" gap front and rear. [dr[cl. After that I pulled the door latch out and fixed a crack in the linkage and straightened the bent pieces. It works better. Now on to the passenger side.[;)

Thanks guys. I beat on it tonight and I'm happy with it. I put a piece of 3" channel across the passenger door opening and one across the top of the door at the rear and a 3" block of wood in the door jam at the bottom rear. Then I pulled the top in with a ratchet strap. That got the twist out. After that I pulled the hinge pins and the plates out of the jams. I bent them a little in the press and put them back together. Now I have 3/16" gap front and rear. [dr[cl. After that I pulled the door latch out and fixed a crack in the linkage and straightened the bent pieces. It works better. Now on to the passenger side.[;)

when the masses say "they are only original once" this is probably what they mean haha.

i am saving this post for the next prewar!

84 year old rot repair

Got some more done on the passenger door. Not as bad as drivers door. This side was twisted the opposite direction as the drivers. Kind of used the same method as the driver. Ratchet strap at the bottom and 3 inch block at the top. Small patch on the inner door panel. 90 degree bend then shrink to arch of outer then cut straight to weld to inner panel. For the outer panel kind of the same but shrink both legs for the compound curve. I also found some damage by the lower hinge that was previously repaired. Also welded up a bunch small rust holes. Thanks for checking in. [;)

Attachments

• DSC01447.JPG
    DSC01447.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC01446.JPG
    DSC01446.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC01445.JPG
    DSC01445.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 24
Getting ready for a hair cut

Got the doors hung and closing properly. Pulled the windshield frame. Braced the inside of the cab and trimmed the 36 firewall that is going to replace the hacked up and rusted one with the battery tray that is rotted away. I'm going to replace it and the dash board after the chop. I'm thinking I can chop it three and a half inches and not have to shorten the rear window. I like the looks of more chop but I don't think it's a good idea. I'll take out 3 1/2 and see what it looks like.[S[S[;)

Attachments

• DSC01454.JPG
    DSC01454.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01453.JPG
    DSC01453.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01452.JPG
    DSC01452.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01451.JPG
    DSC01451.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01450.JPG
    DSC01450.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC01449.JPG
    DSC01449.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC01448.JPG
    DSC01448.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 24
Kenny, most of that era of trucks that I've come across, have a battery tray chopped into the firewall right there. That still doesn't make it cool though, you have to cover that hole up and find a different place to put your battery. I hid a long slim battery between the bucket seats on mine.
Those cabs are already 2" shallower than the next era of cab, so I think a 3 1/2" chop will be lots.
Good Luck.

Bill. I've been measuring a lot. and eye balling everything. Then I'm checking it some more. Mac I'm moving the battery to back behind the cab on the inside of the frame. I like the look of a firewall with as little clutter as possible. I've been looking at a few chops on this style cab and I think three and a half will be enough and still be able to see out the windshield. When I chop it I'm going to leave enough material below the rear window so if I have to raise the bottom of it I can if I don't feel the proportions are right. I hope this makes sense.[S[;)[;)

Latest posts

Back