Soooo I got a title.........um

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyf

So I got a title/registration (New York, vehicles older the 1974 you dont get a "title" you get a transferable reg.)

Its a T/R for a 1930 ford 2-door issued in 1947, its legit! its signed and good to go[cl

Although Im a little bit worried when I go to the DMV.

Even if this guy bought the car when he was 20 this would make him around 86, just hoping I dont catch any flack at the DMV office:rolleyes:

I just want to get the title transfered into my name, but not register it, not yet any ways cause Im still working on it, and it not roadworthy........yet

What do you guys think?

There was a time I would have told you to go for it...........there are a zillion cars titled just the way you are describing. HOWEVER, some recent events have me rethinking the wisdom of doing that. We have all seen how the guy whose 32 Ford was stolen is now facing serious charges and some of them relate to using an original 32 title for a car that he built from lots of parts.

The surprising part about that whole deal is that it happened not in California, which is historically a place where the authorities crack down on that stuff (Think Boyd Coddington's arrest) but it happened here in Florida. Our State has always been pretty easy going when it came to registering old cars, but this case really changes things.

If I were you, I would take that title and go to the DMV and tell them you are using most of that car to build a new hot rod from parts, and they can guide you on how to proceed. I am going to do that with the rpu I am building, I have a title for the Olds that I got the engine from and I am going to take that and receipts for other major components and get the "Assembled from parts" form at our local tax office (we don't have dmv's in Florida, we use tax offices) and do it the right way.

99% of the time you might not have a problem, but as we have seen, if your car is ever stolen or totalled you might have a problem getting paid or face charges.

Don

If I were you, I would take that title and go to the DMV and tell them you are using most of that car to build a new hot rod from parts, and they can guide you on how to proceed. I am going to do that with the rpu I am building, I have a title for the Olds that I got the engine from and I am going to take that and receipts for other major components and get the "Assembled from parts" form at our local tax office (we don't have dmv's in Florida, we use tax offices) and do it the right way.

Don

I can not do an "assembled car" Title, I looked into that route. An assembled car has has to comply with current standards, crash bars, low inpact bumpers, air bags............and so on. I tried the right way. Honestly this was my only other option, my car is 1/2 built I figured I better tackel this issue NOW!

Found a title, just trying get my ducks in a row and antisapate any obsticals.

thanks Don!

The main question is, do the numbers on your title match the numbers on your car? If they don't, the title is worthless. It might be a clear title, but without matching numbers, it ain't a clear title to your car.....

Is Louisiana a state like Alabama where the state didn't issue titles until a certain year ?
If so, wouldn't his vin #, a Bill of Sale and a registration form get him a title ?
Curios mind [P

Ah, yes, that it the problem with some States and their requirements that an assembled from parts car be up to 2012 standards on emissions and safety equipment. What a crock that is, and it forces guys to go the "historical document" route.

Good luck.

Don

The main question is, do the numbers on your title match the numbers on your car? If they don't, the title is worthless. It might be a clear title, but without matching numbers, it ain't a clear title to your car.....

Well i can make it match, here's the deal , the body has no number, the frame is custom built it has no number the engine is a Chevy (im dropping it in a model A)I have paper work for that.

I can get a blank data plate and stamp number on it or stamp the same numbers on the title onto my new frame

1930 Ford used the engine number on the title. You don't have the original engine so if you talk to a friendly person at the dmv, explain what you are doing and have them put the Chevy engine number on the new title. That would be the correct way to do it. But if that don't work, some states [Va.], after you explain the number on the reg. is the original engine number which you don't have, will give a new vin number and a vin plate for you to attach to the car. All states aren't the same but this gives you something to think about....good luck!:D

I see a lot the claim that it is illegal to tamper with a vin in all cases in all states.
I'm not going to talk about WHAT is the law but about why...

Not every state infringes your rights to prevent crime. sometimes they get smart and focus on the crimes and leave the rights alone

In my state the law says you "cannot remove (or tamper with) the vin to perpetuate a fraud"... but it doesn't take a position regarding the removal or transfer of a vin for non fraudulent purposes.
Some people assume that this must mean any removal of the vin constitutes the fraud...probably because they were told it's illegal when the law says under what conditions it is illegal.
This type of thinking is left over from the old world where people thought everything was illegal unless you had permission.
We... got rid of that.

This old world thinking effects our laws and is why the law crosses lines in some places and doesn't go far enough in others.
Don't forget, bureaucrats like to fudge in the law to get away with things too...
To get votes or to permit things not entirely legal or sometimes they just ain't all that smart but they sure do talk it up good.

hear-say is a dirty word but a lot of people take what they heard as fact instead of reading what is written.
The written word is indisputable, hear-say is someone's opinion.
For example most people believe that if you have ever been convicted of a felony then you cannot posses firearms and lose your right to vote for life.
As a fact of law you will note on applications for firearms licenses/purchases, on voter registrations, and even in the laws regarding job applications in certain states... where it asks if you have ever been convicted of a felony, the law also instructs anyone who had been a felon and who's rights were restored to answer this question as "No".
My own state only restricts firearms of a barrel length under 18" to felons.
While it would be legal for a felon to have rifle or a shotgun in my state they still prefer to use an illegal unregistered concealable pistol when they commit a crime. Shotguns and rifles in the hands of felons isn't a problem here.
So what you hear... isn't always what is the law is
Ask a lawyer first, and have him put it in writing so if you are wrong you can claim "legal mistake".

Fraud is a type of crime relative to some falsification or misrepresentation.
It isn't a crime to lie if the lie does not support a crime, It IS a crime to lie on a legal document or under oath.
Some people believe a restored (or even a repaired) car is not original and should get a different title...
That's the extreme..but extremes like that are where these ideas come from.

If no crime is committed, legally there is no fraud.
If there is no fraud, then tampering with the vin cannot support a fraud.
In my state the choice of words in the law(I paraphrase)- tampering "to perpetuate a fraud" instead of "constitutes a fraud" is evidence that the tampering itself is not considered fraudulent.

It would depend on if the state makes it unconditionally a crime to tamper with the vin,
or if it makes tampering with the vin a conditional offense,
Or if the state makes tampering with a vin an offense at all.
The federal government and the state governments have the power to require a manufacturer to assign a vin to a vehicle they produce as a regulatory requirement under the commercial license to manufacture.
The license to manufacture is a privilege on manufacturing for public sale.
A license to manufacture is not required for personal use, what you do for yourself is not commerce and is not regulated under the commerce clause.

I found this on another forum about California
One example I found:
"It remains illegal for a state (CA-BAR) registered repair shop to 'alter, remove, posses, install, modify, deface or change in any manner' a Federally issued VIN.
It remains legal for a home 'hobbyist' to do the same during the course of repairs/restoration of a vehicle if the panel where the VIN is mounted needs to be replaced or refurbished. He/She must have full right and title to the vehicle and fill out a state "Statement of Facts" about the work done and file it with the DMV. So, according to the state, you can (and many have) swapped the VIN from a vehicle they owned and were restoring onto a new panel or body during the course of that restoration and it is/was totally legal to do so."

It all depends on the state but generally a state or federal licensee is forbidden, while a non licensed person in some cases "may"
Since the source of all liberties is natural and there is no dispensation of liberties under our law,
the law according to license grants powers (because license is permission to engage in restricted activity)
But regarding rights only restricts them.
Understanding why a manufacturer must assign a vin to a vehicle and why an individual does not involves being able to understand the legal difference between rights and privileges.

I hope this brings some understanding to how the various opinions result in different legal requirements in different states.

Last edited:
In a Monte Python voice " If one were compelled to assemble a compendium of various civil statutes on a state by state basis it might abrogate the confusion regarding the plurality of judiciferous intermoglotrigation impending the disinterpetative incoherance of homologidation"[P

I got the title to my 57 using the abandoned vehicle on private property route. It was easy and 100 legal in my name now. Took 45 days and 3.00 dollars for an add in the paper. This is in Arkansas but I'm sure other states have a similar thing.

Latest posts

Back