Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > The "BS" Lounge

The "BS" Lounge Off topic posts & general stuff with no category! You talkin' to ME?!?!?!

Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 AM

Default Another end for a Mom and Pop Shop

We had a Mom and Pop parts store on RT1 in my hometown forever. I used to go there in the 70's and I have no idea how long before. 1st about 8 years ago they put Autozone about 1/2 mile away. Then 3 years ago Advanceauto then last year Oreilly's all with in less than a mile. I was doing brakes on my Wife's car last week and went to the Mom and Pop to get the parts and they were out of business. Bummed. They knew me by name and never let me down.It is really a shame all these shops continue to close. We had an awesome hardware store to that big box stores pushed out.Miss the old days when there were people in a store that could actually help. Jim
Old 07-16-2019, 09:25 AM
Still crazy after all these years!

Sometimes "progress", ....isn't.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:59 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

we have a napa, auto zone advance and the o'reilly's and i will bypass them to get to the locals. i get better parts and most of the time a better price. people i know and they will go out of their way to come up with what i need.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26Troadster View Post
we have a napa, auto zone advance and the o'reilly's and i will bypass them to get to the locals. i get better parts and most of the time a better price. people i know and they will go out of their way to come up with what i need.
I will miss the "hanging out" too. We would talk fishing, model cars etc. I'm bald so I don't go to barber shop. So this was the place. Jim
Old 07-16-2019, 10:31 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

We have a local store that has been here since the 60ís. Auto parts and home hardware. Iím friends with the three brothers that own it, good guys. But I donít do a lot of business with them anymore due to their business practices. When the local coal mine shut down, they lost half or more of their business. They cancelled everybodyís charge account, business and personal. I had a business account with them for years, in good standing. No matter, everything became due and payable right then. I seldom carried over a $100 balance a month, mainly I would just charge stuff between paydays and then pay it off before the months end. But that wasnít the worse of it, they raised their prices. On everything.

Now, unless itís something I need right now, I order online and wait on the postman. I get stuff for about 1/2 what they charge locally. Iíll still buy small stuff like belts and hoses and nuts and bolts there, but most everything else I order online. Most of the time the chain stores have to order it anyway, so I just order from their website and cut out the idiot store help.

I understand the need to make money to run a business, but you canít penalize your customers because you lost a big customer. They depended on that mine business too much, and when it was gone, they suffered. They knew that the mine was like construction, working to an end, they just didnít figure it would end when it did. It hurt a bunch of people in the area besides them, those that got used to the big money, then it wasnít there anymore.

Whatís really funny, me and one of the brothers were talking one day, and he said heís got to where he orders stuff online a lot, too. He canít afford his stores prices!
Old 07-16-2019, 12:43 PM

I think that is one of the things that did in $ local store here. They had merged with another small store but really didn't raise their prices. They were very competitive with the chains. Online is another story though. I will say I do shop bigger stuff at advanceauto. On many sites like retailmenot.com there are some real good coupons if shopping online and pickup in store. $40 off $100 was a good one. Used in a few times on their $109 battery. I just put in the order on line and go get it a 1/2 hour later. Jim
Old 07-16-2019, 01:14 PM
Older and more rusted every day!

In the big city Mom & Pops stand a chance but in the smaller towns... they're toast!

BoB

RRR on Facebook
RRR on Twitter
Wanted: Ratty '35 Olds coupe!
Old 07-16-2019, 02:58 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
In the big city Mom & Pops stand a chance but in the smaller towns... they're toast!

BoB
tripper the last time i came home to houston there were no hi/lo's or petigru and smith that i saw, as well as a few others i remember.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:29 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

As a former owner of a Mom and Pop business( we even lived above the store) I always shop local and small first.
Unfortunately that is getting harder to do even here in a little town in Northern Mich.
The county seat of my county has all the auto stores but no big box retailer yet. Walmart was supposed to come in a few years back but they pulled the plug for some unknown reason.
Things change every day....
Torchie
Old 07-16-2019, 07:38 PM

When I was growing up this town was a nice New England town. Mom and Pops were the norm. Candy store, tires, garages. grocery stores, all were small. As time went on a lot of the older people running these stores passed on amd the kids had no interest. Couple that with the closing a few of the large employers changed things. Factory employing 10K people leaves, the video store, deli, hot dog stand , lose their customer base. Many of our factory and big employing businesses have been torn down and turned into condos and apartments. Being on the train line and 1hr from NYC makes it favorable. Jim