Bug to Butterfly

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking great to me.
What's the plan for the rear of the body?

Thanks Pops. I'm planning a short (~32") pickup box and some widened trailer fenders. The box will hold the gas tank, battery, spare tire and jack. Just trying to get clear in my head how I'm going to do it.

Some more progress on the bug.

I got the frame for the box done and have decided to mount the front of it directly to the body and have a couple of mounts similar to the body mounts at the rear. This way I don't have to worry about trying to make an even gap between the body and the box as there will be none.

Widening the fenders turned out to be the exercise in patience that welding sheet metal can be. As usual, in the end bondo will be my friend.

I'm still deciding on what I want to do with the bead roller on all the box panels but thought I'd share a couple pictures of the progress and mock up as it now stands. I think my idea for the flare at the top of the box will look good - a little different from a length of tubing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2001.jpg
    IMG_2001.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2006.jpg
    IMG_2006.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2012.jpg
    IMG_2012.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2019.jpg
    IMG_2019.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 42
Nice job on the fender SC, and I like the flare at the top of the box side. It's a lot more "production" looking than a piece of tube! The whole car is coming together nicely.

The box is bolted in place and the rear mounts fabbed and welded in. The fenders are bolted to the frame. Next week will see all the panels bead rolled and welded onto the frame. I did a little mockup to see how everything will fit into the box when I do the inside of it. Box will easily hold the fuel tank, battery, spare tire, jack and tools.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2022.jpg
    IMG_2022.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2023.jpg
    IMG_2023.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2024.jpg
    IMG_2024.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 29
I got the outer panels cut out for the box and ran them through the bead roller. Got them tacked into place but then I ran out of gas for the welder so the box will have to wait a few more days before it gets finished. Anyway, here are a few pics to show what I'm trying to do.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2066.jpg
    IMG_2066.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2070.jpg