My truck had a Corvette engine in it. I think

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleyboy

Never to old to have a happy childhood
I'm working on a 50 Chevy truck. Chopped top, S10 frame and 350/700R. I pulled the cab and bed off the frame about 3 weeks ago and told a friend that he could have the frame. It's been sitting in my yard waiting for me to get the running boards off. The motor and trans are still on the frame. I was thinking today that I might be able to get something out of the motor and trans (powerglide). I thought the engine and trans were stock, but I found out that there wasn't an automatic offered in 1950. The install was so good that there was no way to tell that it had ever been changed. I finally found the hole in the floor where the clutch rod went thru. He had patched it so no one could tell. Well, today I decided that I would get the motor numbers off the engine and see if it was a 216 or a 235. If I'm reading the codes right I may have a 1953 Corvette engine. The block numbers are 3835911. The date code is B38. At first I thought the date had to be 1958 but before 54 the date had the year first, I think. So this would be Feb 8, 1953. Do any of you have any idea what this would be worth? I'm putting a 350 in the truck and don't want a 6 cylinder in it, but what a conversation piece. What engine do you have? Oh, just a little Corvette engine. What do y'all think. Maybe someone can shead some light on this. Harleyboy

B 3 8 should be Feb 3, 1958. Look on number pad on the deck of the block aft of the distributor. What letters and numbers are stamped there? Does it have a 3 carb intake and split exhaust?

I know this does not apply but I had a 283 block that I ran the casting number and found out the truck and corvette used the same number that year. The pad id was long gone, from getting decked I suppose.

Latest posts

Back