1947 Crosley Recovery

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herbie!

Hey Tripper, He must have had a thing for Vdubs because there are about 6 doors and a bunch of Vdub fenders in this same barn. All kind of Vdub glass. I bet there are 6 or 8 rear fold out windows. I guess he thought they would be scarce one day. He never threw anything away and I'm glad.

How could *anyone* not love a cute little Beetle! Especially in the 60's! I just watched "Herbie goes to Monte Carlo".

Glad u rescued that poor 'lil Crosley & gave it a much needed bath too. Probably crank right over!

BoB

Last edited:
More stuff

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

So are they going to do anything for you for all the hard work and time you folks are investing in helping them out? It seems you are a very generous and caring person from your remarks and it only seems right that they should be willing to give you some of this stuff for your efforts. You mentioned them maybe giving you the stuff if you tear the barn down, but you have already invested hours and hours in helping them out.

Reason I ask is that from the age of the owners it appears none of this would have happened if you hadn't rolled up your sleeves. Not saying they are like this, but sometimes people let others do lots of hard work like this for them and then simply say thanks and assume that is all that is needed. I'm not trying to be capitalistic, but right is right. :):)

Don

Last edited:
Very cool....

Very cool adventure here, really nice find and a ton of good stuff.
Thanks for the story and the photos.
Hope you get some "goodies" out of this. '22

I could probably get about anything from her that I wanted, but I don't like to ask for things. Her husband and my wife's mother died within 6 months of each other and my wife needed someone to take care of and she need someone to take care of her. They just kinda found each other and it's been good for both of them. We carry her to church every Wed. night and my wife takes her shopping once a week. She is very nice and we love her alot. I cut her grass (I have a lawn business) and she pays very well. When I work around her house she pays me and my helper. This project is something that I wanted to do because that car would not have survived. Anyone of you would have done the same thing to save an old car. I have always been a service orenitated person. I worked for the city fire dept for 26 years and most of that is with not much gratitude. We were like an insurance policy in that no one wanted to see us but if they needed us they were very happy to see us. The pay was low so all of us had to work a second job.
I did get a project while I was over there today. Her daughter and I were walking around the barn and beside it is a 41 Caddy parts car for a 41 caddy that is in tip top shape that they own. I asked her if she wanted me to do anything with it and she said that I could have it if I wanted it. It is sitting with the rear fenders off and that made me think RAT. I'll take pics and give y'all a look at it in a few days. My wife will probably kill me when I bring it home. My 50 Chevy truck is scattered out all over the yard right now. I alloted myself a year to complete the truck project, but with the prospects of this caddy I may step it up.

You will be paid for all of your kind deeds, one way or another.

Agreed. My Grandmother lives about 10 hours away. All of her family has moved away over the years and she refuses to leave her house that she and my grandfather lived in.
She has a very generous man that sounds a lot like you that comes over to do chores for her and check on her and take her to the store- those kind of things.
I had the pleasure of meeting him a year or so ago and we hit it off right away. He's what we would call around the Midwest here a "Good ole' farm boy" type- little bit mechanic, little bit carpenter, electrician etc. If it weren't for him I know my Grandmother (now in her 90s) would have been forced to leave her home and been miserable.

Good for you, sir!

Keep the pictures coming. Can't wait to see the Caddy!

Jay

just couldnt resist this thread, awsome find, here is a picture of my fathers crosley race car from about 1959, it was olds powered with a paxton supercharger, it had a 40 ford hood molded to the front, looks like he did pretty well with it, he raced it in the west, wish I could find it or some other pictures of it!!

Attachments

• dads dragster 2.jpg
    dads dragster 2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 32
You are Blessed!

What comes around goes around!
You are holding up the Golden rule my man!
God has blessed that family with you to help them out and he will bless you for doing it.Whether you recieve cars or parts or not you will be blessed in some way for doing that old lady a good deed!
OK..................Now lets see sme more pics! LOL!

Blessed

The Lord has blessed me so much I'm just trying to repay. I have been in three motorcycle wrecks, two of them with broken bones. I hit a hand cart that fell off the back of a Coke truck and went down. I was doing 45 and the hand cart was doing about the same. I was doing 65 on I40 in Ark. coming home from Sturgis in 02 and was ejected when I hit a bad bump in the road. I broke my arm and wrist in 5 places. In Sept. of 06 I fell 20 feet off a ladder and landed on my driveway, broken right hip, left knee, both bones in my left leg, and left heel. God has a plan for me. He has kept me alive thru all this. People around here say that I've had a lot of bad luck, but I tell them how blessed I am. I'm not trying to turn this into a religious rant. I'm just telling where I've been and where I'm going. Harleyboy

Blacknblue, that's a cool race car. It looks so different from the original that I pulled from that barn. I love the modified hood and the wheels out from under it. Harleyboy

Latest posts

Back