50 Chevy Shop Truck Back in the Game

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like you could mount a grill shell right between those shock hoops in front of the steering rack and chop the frame horns off.

I'm going to have to put a brace between the shock towers so I figured I'd use that to mount the radiator and radiator shell to. I have the front bumper that was on the truck but don't know if I want to run it or not, it's rat for sure and it still has the city license tag attached from 1974 which is when the truck was parked. I may have to build a grill to suit me. I had been collecting parts for years and started selling them off two years ago because I didn't think I would ever get going this project again. I had a great original 32 and 37 ford grill that I'd love to have back now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 27
I could have cut this out but I like it like that. My wife came home and asked why I didn't fix it. I told her that's the way I want it. She said it's just going to continue to rust..........she finally gets it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 31
It's been slow going but I got the engine mounted. I decided to use an engine plate to mount it with. It worked out pretty good but I've still got to get the accessories shimmed out. The plate is 1/4" aluminum alloy so I had to order a 1/4" spacer to bring the harmonic balancer out. I had a drive shaft that fit in the 5 speed transmission but had to be shortened and a Ford yoke put on for the 9" rear end. I took it to Fleet Pride in Wilmington NC and they did a great job. The frame is only 5.5 inches off the ground so I'm going to have to set the cab mounts up 5" off the frame. My drive shaft tunnel will only be about 3" high.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 13
cool

with no hood or fenders it would look better without a front bumper, just take the plate and mount it in the den, that is what l did with some of the plates l rescued.

stance looks pretty good[cl

what kind of HP the SBC puttin' out?

AND be prepared for some "traditional" hot rodders to give ya crap about a IFS out in the open.
one of the "old School " car shows refused to let me in because of the IFS and l got flamed to death & kicked off a rodding site for daring to build a rod with a open front-end a not putting a straight axle under it. just laugh and tell'em l am the one who has to drive it and enjoy it the way it is.

some people :rolleyes:

Later :cool:

Thanks Skull. I think the straight front axel looks a lot better but this is what I have and I'm not really worried about what others don't like about it. Like you said I am the one that has to drive it. The sbc is very mild. I ran it on a dyno to see what condition it was in and it put out about 270 hp but had a great torque number. I may put a cam in it to make it lope a little. I'll be 69 next Friday and I'm planning on having it running by my 70th birthday.

The Vettester i am building will have the IRS up front and Proud. What keeps it ascetically proportioned is the radiator is in back so nothing protrudes ahead of the front tires. I wish my sbc had 270 HP. It is a '88 and will be lucky to put out the original 230. Good to see you getting this rolling HB, you will enjoy it for sure. Rusty old trucks and rusty old men are a naturally harmonius combination. :D

Well I finally got the radiator and grill shell mounted, cab mounted, gas tank in and battery box mounted. I'm starting on the wiring Thursday night. With a lot of luck I hope to have it on the road in a month. I still have a lot to do but I'm plugging along.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back