Truck Rat Rods

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vht

I know the 30's truck cabs make good rat rods, but can the 50's fords or chevys work for a open wheel bobber truck deal? I always wanted a open wheel project and the later cabs have more room and are plentiful, or at least more so than the 30"s. Just wondering if they would look good with using a earlier style rad and grill shell. Anyone built one and have pics?

Like this?

This truck is getting full air ride and a 6.2 diesel. Will be a cool ride

Don't want the ton running gear but thanks for the pic. I've been doing some research and I've found a few that look pretty cool. I'm not wanting a show piece just fast, fun and safe.

Thsi truck isnt a show piece, it will be a driver. Where the heck did that come from? Parallel 4 link with a pan hard and bags in the rear. Hair pin styl radius rods in the front with bags. 6.2 diesel with a 700r4 trans. The front axle and brakes are 100% rebuilt.

We dont built trailer queen crap. The rides we build are drivers 100%. Might not be exactly what you were talkin about but its a 50s cab with no fenders.

You absolutely can. I went back and forth on my '52 Ford because the no fender, extended front axle look is so cool. You mentioned you've searched a few good looking ones. They're definitely out there. Good luck!

I with you MF, I do 't care what they are, I'm driving them. That's the fun in something you build, gotta show it off and enjoy it.

The bigger cabs have a few problems. The firewall/cowl area is a lumpy mess, they are wide, and that makes it difficult to match a grill to it. The best idea I've seen is to keep the hood. Using big running gear balances the proportions out better too. - My Opinion.

Something that bugs me that I see a lot of - '32 Grille shells do not look right on everything!

Sam Fear touched on something that always bothered me too, the wider cab is out of proportion to a narrow grille.
One guy on this forum put a Mercedes grille on his '50's fenderless truck, and that looked O.K.
Don't stop dreaming and building rat rods, just because of one little technicality. Keep on tinkering.

The chevy i posted is retaining the hood and we are goin to narrow the grill alittle to make it look like it belongs.

I do agree with the wide cab and tiny grill. Doesnt look right

413111451.jpg

I kinda like this one.
Not mine, found it on pintrest

Looking at the hood on yours, MF, I'm kinda liking it. Plus the fact that you never know when you'll get caught in a down pour. Post some pics when you narrow the grille, that's a pretty cool idea. If I go this route, I was going to try and do something with the firewall to make it look better also.

It can be done. Mine is a 49 ford cab with a 36 grill shell. the cab is wider and more roomy that the earlier ones. Remember if You don't fit in it and you're not comfortable you won't enjoy it no mater how good it looks.

That's another reason I was considering, buddies got a 36 I think, chevy and it is just to tight for me. I don't care for my head hitting the roof.

dmw56, what axle did you use in the front? I was thinking of a chevy AD front axle, Speedway has everything for them, but I'd like something that I could use a transverse spring on. I like that, got a link to a build thread on it?

413111451.jpg

I kinda like this one.
Not mine, found it on pintrest

They wound up putting fenders on that one, here a few I had saved back, some do's and don'ts. LOL

Attachments

• 47chev7.jpg
    47chev7.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 15400505_336876006699439_4106012209552591917_n.jpg
    15400505_336876006699439_4106012209552591917_n.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 50
  • H670_zps4303f4d9.jpg
    H670_zps4303f4d9.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg