Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Undead Sleds... makin' old tin Undead every day! > Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk

Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk General discussion of car type stuff!

Old 02-15-2021, 11:06 AM

Default What does everyone use for a gas tank?

I'm trying to figure out what to use for Stumpy. It is going to go under the "Bed Cover". I'm mostly looking for a fuel cell/tank I can hook a gauge to. Also looking in the 20 Gallon range. I have a Caddy 500 so will probably need lots of fuel. I also want to fill it through the bed cover, so it has to have provisions to hook a remote fill tube to. I know, not very needy am I?

I looked in the Fuel Systems forum and didn't see much traffic there. So if anyone has pics of their hidden tank and install can you post them?
Old 02-15-2021, 12:46 PM
Builder Junky!

I used a Ranger pick-up frame for a donor in my '36 Ford, so I just left the Ranger tank in between the frame rails and ran the remote fill out through the side of the box. If you wanted a wee bit bigger tank, what about a full-sized pick-up rear tank? You want to put the tank in the box instead of under it, which will make the electrical wiring a way easier, and the later changing of the fuel pump a way easier. Maybe, browse around a junk yard, looking at the shapes of tanks.
Good luck.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:48 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

What ever you can find that fits where you want to put it. The last build had a boat tank. I'm going to try to build the next one.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:50 PM

tanksinc.com has a wide selection of tanks, including some universal tanks in various shapes.

They are a good source for tank dimensions to find what might fit your application, even if you don't buy from them.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:01 PM
Older and more rusted every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebob View Post
tanksinc.com has a wide selection of tanks, including some universal tanks in various shapes.
I used a Tanks Inc tank in my last two builds! They were both 16 gal to fit the space I had!

BoB

RRR on Facebook
RRR on Twitter
Wanted: Ratty '35 Olds coupe!
Old 02-15-2021, 06:25 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I've built my own and also bought from Tanks Inc.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:31 AM

I was looking at Summit Racing and Amazon this morning before posting this. Tanks Inc. got my attention a few times.

Then a couple of buddies were over and we were discussing the gas tank. On buddy said "don't over think it, I'm sure you got a stock gas tank out in the yard somewhere ". So I went and grabbed this one that was already loose off the back of a square body GMC.

I guess I just needed a gentle push. Then the confirmation of everybody here not worrying too much about it helps.

So in my pics it is mocked up to sit a few inches under the flatbed part of the bed. Do I need the second hose that comes in just below the gas cap? What happens if I just plug it off? I want to use the fuel cap off of my old forklift I scrapped years ago, but saved the fuel tube for an eventual Rat Rod build. I'll have to cut it down so it sits just above the flat bed

I'll also post these pics in my build thread plus a few more from today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210215_220759.jpg (115.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20210215_220813.jpg (98.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20210215_211359.jpg (96.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-16-2021, 04:17 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

With out the second hose it will take forever and a day to fill the tank, it's the vent.

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:50 AM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

Just pay attention to cleaning it. I worked a few days trying to clean one up good and on the first start up was a little discouraged when I saw the fuel filter turn red causing more delays and the cost of a "new" tank.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:36 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Like Dozer said
It'll have a tendency to puke gas on ya too.
Just drill a hole in the new tube and put a 90 degree pipe to hose barb fitting in with a rubber hose hooked to it back to the tank.