How thick should tubing on a frame be ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK . I think I'll still get the 3/16th 2x4 and build it with the same Z drop that I have now , in the rear , on the modern frame thats under it now . Ill have to wait on the front cut till I get an axle and spring set up . Cant find that stuff no-where around here . I can get an 8 lug , but I dont think I want it .. I'll take a 6 lug ,

Hey , your truck looks pretty good ,, I may have to buy a tube front end also .. but this will be about the last thing Id get for it ,, maybe hold out and get lucky and find a 5 lug.

Thanks , the frame doesn't take to long to build once you figure out what you want. A good way to do that is to go buy some 2x4's and cut and screw them together to get the style frame you want then transfer the design to steel .2x4 "s are a lot cheaper than steel and easier to work with.

I would suggest using 2x4 as well. the thickness not as important. I read about one builder using 3\16 because he could thread it for brake line tabs and other tubing. I built mine using 100 wall 2x3 and it is to light it flexes a little, and doing burnouts it twisted some! I will bend it back and v brace it

Wiebeweld thats what I dint want to happen to me .. my rat dropped a number on the to do list a while back but its done got back on the list again.its #5 now .. [cl

We build a lot of frames and we always use 3/16"

2-1.jpg

You could do a simple Z splice/butt joint at the front like you did at the rear. With 3/16 wall thickness steel there is no need whatsoever to overlap and weld, and then weld doubler plates inside and out. It will never break at that joint if V prepped and welded correctly. You could drop the biggest big block in there and still have no issues.

If you are a frame builder you know this already, so I assume it is just for looks, the way you do it. ;)

Tubing size

I have 2 20ft sticks of 2x3 tubing on hand. I think they are 3/16 but may be 1/4. I will have to measure. I plan to use the for frame of my Studebaker pickup. I plan on it being a bobber with a small block and automatic. I felt that this would be strong enough but you guys have me wondering. Would welding a piece of rebar or flat bar to bottom length help? The frame length probably won't be but 12 ft a the longest maybe only 10. Phil

I have 2 20ft sticks of 2x3 tubing on hand. I think they are 3/16 but may be 1/4. I will have to measure. I plan to use the for frame of my Studebaker pickup. I plan on it being a bobber with a small block and automatic. I felt that this would be strong enough but you guys have me wondering. Would welding a piece of rebar or flat bar to bottom length help? The frame length probably won't be but 12 ft a the longest maybe only 10. Phil

Next frame I build will be that same size tube you have. Forget about the extra steel or re-bar, you won't need it. 3/16 wall thickness tube is more than strong enough to run a blown FE big block in, weight wise.

My current car has 2.5mm wall thickness, some local steel tube I found, which is less than 1/8, and that seems okay so far, but I'd definitely prefer heavier stuff.

An X member frame has an X shaped fixture under the cabin area section. It adds torsional rigidity tothe frame, less twist. You can see how mine is done in my build thread at the bottom of the post. My frame is built of .120 wall 2"x4" tube and it is solid. there are other ways to build an X member and I went over kil. I have a tendency to over build things.

Latest posts

Back