Useing a model T front axle........... what are the pros and cons?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Save your bucks and. Get the Speedway kit. You will be $$$ ahead.
I found this when I was on another forum....... http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2191
And people say to get the kit through speedway???? I have also heard and seen many other pics from people that have bought that kit and the axle tube broke and cars getting in complete wrecks because of there " Made in china ****"... I would NEVER order ANYTHING from there, its like ordering junk from harbor freight..... JUNK... I also have links from other sites that have used the model T straight axel and with a little effort, and actually make it work so as far as I can see it, DON,I think you have to do more research before you give someone **** and saying you shold have saved your breath....... Just saying.. :)

You have to remember we're trying to help you and make sure everyone is safe with what they build. I'm sure you can cobble something together and make the T axle work, but why? Its a 90-100 year old piece of steel that took a lot of punishment on a car the was designed for 35mph tops. Now you're going to stick hydraulic brakes on it and take it down the highway at 60+. Just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

When I said why not use the VW front axle, I meant the complete front suspension not just use parts on the T axle.

I found this when I was on another forum....... http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2191
And people say to get the kit through speedway???? I have also heard and seen many other pics from people that have bought that kit and the axle tube broke and cars getting in complete wrecks because of there " Made in china ****"... I would NEVER order ANYTHING from there, its like ordering junk from harbor freight..... JUNK... I also have links from other sites that have used the model T straight axel and with a little effort, and actually make it work so as far as I can see it, DON,I think you have to do more research before you give someone **** and saying you shold have saved your breath....... Just saying.. :)

give it a whirl
we got nothin to lose from you trying[S

I can see you won't last long around here. Don and I were just giving you some advice, if you take it or not is up to you. We were concerned with the safety of using a part not designed for modern speeds, and the safety of those that might be on the road at the same time as you. I don't care what company you buy aftermarket parts from, there will always be the possibility that something will break or not function the way it was supposed to. The thread you referenced about Don's experience with the pittman arm shows that, and it also shows that Speedway was concerned and did what they had to do to make things right. I have bought many things from Speedway and the quality has always been high. And let me add, Don has built more cars than many of us have ever owned, and I would trust his judgement on safety related stuff.

You asked what we thought in your first post, I'm sorry it wasn't what you wanted to hear, but that's life.

I've bought lots of stuff from Speedway and have never had any problems. Go ahead use the T Axel. But when you're done you'll spend more time and money than if you bought an A axel and kit.

Tell you what, when you have as many car builds under your belt as I do (or lots of other guys on here have) then you can start running your mouth. Till then you would do well to listen and try to learn. All we are trying to do is save you some grief and money.

But you seem to know it all, so have fun. Believe me, I will be watching your progress because I might just learn a thing or two. :rolleyes:

As for Speedway, you have been reading too much on the internet. Lots of cars would not be on the road without parts ordered from them. I have been dealing with them for over 30 years and have yet to find one situation where they didn't stand behind their products. Even the steering arm was pulled from the shelves immediately, and they didn't sell another one until they had forged ones available. But that is right, you know it all, I forgot.

Don

Hi guys. I ended up picking these two axles up for $50, but it was before the replies came in. Here are a couple pics of what I ended up getting. Im thinking they will be beefy enough since it is going under a vw bug that will have next to no weight in the front except the gas tank. Anyways, let me know what you think...... Good or bad... Thanks again.

You asked for suggestions good or bad, you jumped the gun and bought the axles before waiting for responses so you have no one to blame but yourself for wasting $50. No one here is trying to give you any grief, they are only trying to help you with good information. Listen to their suggestions and you will save money in the long run. As for Don, he is one of the most knowledgeable people on here and was probably building rods a long time before you were born.

I just have to put my 2 cents in on this... These guys that are giving you great advice really know there sh*t!!! So its gosh darn foolish to not take it. The biggest help on this forum is the wealth of knowledge that people can and are willing to share with total strangers. We all share a common love for old cars, rat rods, hot rods, etc. and try to help each other out. Then to come on here and ask for advice on a Model T axle, you get the advice, then completely disregard it. On top of that you tell a reputable builder (Don) that he basically doesn't know what hes talking about is simply ridiculous. Im sure if you searched CL for a little while you'd find a suitable model A axle that wouldn't break the bank. They're out there, just have to look.

-Chris

i have seen this phenomenon before on sites that cater to other interests as well
someone asks for advice and hates the information he gets so he gets mad at the very folks who could help him the most.
:confused:

when i am traveling uncharted waters
i take the parts per million approach
go to a bunch of websites and ask a question
if a hundred guys respond and 90 of them say to do it a certain way
that is usually the right answer

T axle is what I think is called an Elliot axle, that is, the axle splits into two bushing ends and the spindle has just one boss for the kingpin. Most other axles are reverse Elliot, with a single boss on the axle and two on the spindle. No spindle that has brakes will come anywhere near to adapting on, and the T spindles have no place to attach brakes. As said, find a Model A setup and save yourself a lot of grief.

Latest posts

Back