how low is too low ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peabody

I'm wondering how low is to low ?
I'm wanting a daily driver .
I know to stay above the scrub line. Sad to say I have three miles of gravel road to the pavement.

just so oil pan is not lower than frame ,,drop it .. do you have air? if so pick it up to drive and drop it while parked JMO A buddy of mines , son had an 80s El Camacho and he knocked a hole in the pan at McDonals speed bump ... yep that was to low

I didn't want the complication and expense of airbags so I made sure I had at least enough to make it over any speed bump I might find I ended up with 8 inches of clearance. I figure if I can't even make it through a bank drive through, it isn't a car. It is a yard sculpture.

The ( make due for now ) frame on my rat is 5-1/2 from frame to pavement .. this way I can get it on and off my lift without boards . my vette is about 4" maybe? one muff. clamp will drag but I'll work on that .

I normally drive my Olds 3" off the ground - 125" wheelbase. But it's on bags so I can and have had to raise it. 4" is about as low as you can really go without eventually dragging on something. A lot of it depends on your wheelbase and overhang. Gravel really shouldn't be much problem unless it's rutted. Potholes and roadkill are more serious concerns.

I normally drive my Olds 3" off the ground - 125" wheelbase. But it's on bags so I can and have had to raise it. 4" is about as low as you can really go without eventually dragging on something. A lot of it depends on your wheelbase and overhang. Gravel really shouldn't be much problem unless it's rutted. Potholes and roadkill are more serious concerns.

Yes the gravel road is sometimes rutted. Will have to ride with one side on the center.
I'll keep checking things out. Didn't want to go with air ride.
But I'll look into all options.

I'm in a similar situation with a 1 1/2 mile 2 rut dirt road for a driveway before I get to the pavement. Mine will just clear a coke can, maybe 5 1/2". It will be a slow first ride to check everything out for clearance. I'll likely spend a few hours on the tractor to dress the road up first...[S

Your on the right track, bags are the way to enjoy the low. My sprint is my first bagged ride. Takes some time to sort things out but it's smooth sailing. When my daughter and did her camaro we had about.3 in. at the cross member' the problem was speed bumps and exhaust, seemed once a month we had to put it back on [S
What ever you decide have fun with it.

My driveway is not the best and some of the city streets are left to be desired,but I get around ok on about a rear 5/3 front stance but have the option of 6/9.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 81
  • 2011-04-12 15.59.35.jpg
    2011-04-12 15.59.35.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 74
I just run bags in the back with a one piece skid plate the runs from the pan back to the trans. The grill shell actually end up clearing stuff because it's in-line with the front axle. But I do think I hit the shell once in a spot in town that has a high crown to it.

For driving on the gravel I raise the back end up and then I won't scoop gravel into the skid plate.

My driveway is not the best and some of the city streets are left to be desired,but I get around ok on about a rear 5/3 front stance but have the option of 6/9.

attachment.php

attachment.php

All you guys rides are way cool..
And ... Crazy as it sounds..
Because of this board. And all the questions I've asked. Everyone was helpful.
And didn't put me down . I have very limited knowledge of cars.
I'm a 35 years on the road tanker yanker. And raise a few cows.
But since high skool . I've wanted to learn and play around with a hot rod pickup.
I'm going to be 60 years old .. Still a few years away.. But dang !!!
The years are flying by.
So today . I called a shop . and told them I would buy the 37 Chevy roller.
I have a 4 bolt 350 Chevy. And a turbo 400? Out of a 73 pickup.
So .. At last . I finally have a hot rod pickup.
Only took me 40 years to get started. :)
I'm gonna try to post a picture.

Attachments

• 20140519_180857.jpg
    20140519_180857.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 45
peabody I dont see nothing wrong with that body .. and sneaky thats what im talking about the option to get clearance when needed ,, but I cant afford bags ,,, ive thought about air shocks ???,, but IDK. Rusty .Im thinking a skid for mine to just to be safe

Peabody, nice start, very clean looking truck and you drive train should work great.
As for age, you are a little on the young side but you'll get there [cl (have you by a whopping 9.5 yrs.)
You'll also learn most people here are not into putting anyone down, not the same all over.
Now that you can post pictures keep us up to date. [P (this popcorn guy means we're waiting for the main attraction)

if someone already said it then i missed it. the only thing i say about a lowered car, is if you have a flat while driving you don't want anything other then the rim touching the ground. i know this first hand, that is why i put a newer front end under my 63 chevy truck.

Latest posts

Back