Gasser front end problems!? Any suggestions appreciated!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Death wobble is something that once it happens you NEVER want it to happen again.:eek: I drove my 27 for 7 years daily and never had a problem until the tires on the front got a little worn, then I started getting mild wobble. I read where slight toe out can fix it on some cars, and did it, and the wobble left.

On my 23 I nailed it real hard one day merging onto an interstate, and at about 80 mph the front end went nuts. I hit the brakes hard and it stopped, but in my rearview mirror I could see a greyhound bus inches off my back end. That was not good. I changed the front shocks and it hasn't happened since, the ones that were on there we an EBAY purchase and were nice, but used. They had no resistance left.

My Son Don's T had bad death wobble from the start, and we went back and checked everything. We found that in our rush to finish the car lots of stuff was off. The wheelbase was 9/16 shorter on one side, the caster was about 11 degrees, the toe in was too much, and the spindles were machined wrong and had too much bearing slop. We also went to lighter Wilwood front brakes, and tightened his friction shocks way tight. Now it runs fine.

Bob, check your tire balance too, and for bent rims. Those can have a big effect on the condition.

Don

Don

Great tips, they are right inline with the pro suggestions I got today as well as some I figured could be part of the problem...

The 2 pro tips I got today were 1: caster is too much, looks about 10 degrees, will adjust to about 5-7 degrees. 2: install steering dampner, connect from tie rod bar to radius rod (said by connecting to radius rod instead of to frame, is that this way it will work on turns also). suggested a 65-70 VW bus dampner.

I also thought the shocks could be problem. The wobble had happened the first time with the original old shocks I had on. Then last weekend I put on some swap meet used shocks and it has happened twice since then. So I figure I will put on new shocks and see if that helps. Most of the front end has already been replaced.

I will also tweak the toe adjustment.

I am wondering if this could also be contributing to problem: Had to remove 2 of the 5 leafs of the front spring, in order for the tie rod bar to clear the radius rod and frame. Maybe getting a little too much bounce and it just magnifies to the point of wobble.

Already aligned wheelbase, was more than 9/16 difference.

I also have (used) Wilwood Dynalite discs up front.

BTW: I am new here, and I hope my replies are not considered hijacking of Trippers post.

Well that was an easy fix!!!

My panel has the same front wheels as my '41 Ford PU but the ones on the PU are twice as wide. I thought I'd try one thing at a time to be sure what really worked. I switched the wheels out this morning & went for a lil drive! Lo & behold... no more death wobble. I couldn't believe it!!! Anyway... I'm gonna cruise around for an hour or so just to be sure but I have me fingers crossed!!!

BoB

Very Interesting....Sure hope that solves it for you.

Bob,
Well I'm nearly there. I drove the panel around quite a bit & it did pretty well but still got the death wobble a couple of times but not *even* close to what it was B4. I bought some 4 degree shims from Speedway & will install them today to get to around 10 degrees caster. It appears to be a combo of things going on but I am determined to eliminate it altogether & will report at each step. I got a small fan for my dash & will install that today too.

BoB

Hey Tripper,
I just read through all 3 pages and there is one thing that I have not seen mentioned.
(From My Prior profession as a tire tech)
You have to make sure that you don't have 2 byas ply tires and 2 radials, that will cause a wobble that noone can get rid of...
Next, you gotta make sure that there is nothing inside the tire except air.

Try to keep in mind that sometimes, it is the little things that make the difference.

Flat Broke

What about 2 bias ply and 2 cheater slicks... I have firestone bias ply in front and Firestone cheater slicks in rear... Death wobble is driving me nuts...

I guess it is because there are so many more rods on the road today than ever before that we are seeing so many people with Death Wobble problems. I can't ever remember this as being a real problem 20-30 or more years ago. We generally put a car together and it went down the road. Most of the drag cars of a while back were running straight front axles and going very fast down the quarter........sometimes 150 mph or more.

I think bias plies are a big factor too. I love the look but have considered going to radials just for the better ride and the hope that they clear up any chance of DW. I do know one thing from experience, GOOD FRONT SHOCKS CAN HELP A LOT, and bad front shocks can let it happen. Coming back from the first Billetproof I could watch my front tires start to slightly hop up and down when I hit a washboard surface on the interstate. Found out my shocks were worn. Replaced them and the problem went away.

It is a real problem and can make us not want to drive our cars, except maybe slowly around town. :(:(

Don

I guess it is because there are so many more rods on the road today than ever before that we are seeing so many people with Death Wobble problems. I can't ever remember this as being a real problem 20-30 or more years ago. ...

Don

20 Or 30 years ago there were a lot more guys around that knew how to tune a straight axle front end!

Death Wobble

I have the same problem. I can be going 5mph and hit a bump and it goes crazy. Correct me if I am wrong but, out of balance tires or a slight misalignment would not show up at that low of a speed would it? I am leaning toward a weak steering box, because there is some play in it. What do you all think?

I have the same problem. I can be going 5mph and hit a bump and it goes crazy. Correct me if I am wrong but, out of balance tires or a slight misalignment would not show up at that low of a speed would it? I am leaning toward a weak steering box, because there is some play in it. What do you all think?

I changed the front shocks and it hasn't happened since.

I am starting to lean towards bad shocks being my problem. I pulled the shocks off & they were in the extended position when the truck is at rest & they were cheapie ones that came with the Speedway gasser front end kit. I'll replace & report back!

BoB

So what is the ROOT cause of a death wobble? Is it a quick switching from one tire getting more grip, then the other causing an occilation? Or is it loose components in on wheel causing it to wobble? What?

So what is the ROOT cause of a death wobble? Is it a quick switching from one tire getting more grip, then the other causing an occilation? Or is it loose components in on wheel causing it to wobble? What?

From my experience,Its a bump in the road and very minor one at that. That sends all the harmonics through the suspension finding the parts that have the slightest movements in them to multiplying that movement 100's of times until the vehichle is just about no longer controlable.

This happened to me alot back in the 90's with Ford trucks. I did alot of towing for a shop that I worked for. They came factory from the factory with steering stabalizers(SP). We bought them all new every couple of years. After a couple of years I would experience the death wobble at freeway speeds. After looking them over I found that the stabalizers had failed. After replacing them. The problem would be completley solved.

Looks like I got rid of the death wobble... Put on new tie rod and ends - did not cure it. Adjusted toe setting, seemed to help, but still there. Adjusted caster angle (had way too much caster angle) and put on stabilizer - problem solved - (it's only been 2 days, keep my fingers crossed).

I used SoCal unit because it comes with clamps (look like bicycle seat clamp).

Attachments

• SteeringDamper.jpg
    SteeringDamper.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Back