Leaf length

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

In my hunt for new leaf springs I found some for a rv that are 25.5" eye to eye. They are rated at 3500lbs but I can remove some of the leafs. Would the springs being that short still flex enough to have a decent ride? I plan on using them upside down in a under slung set up.

Like Dirty implied, a short spring with a high arch will act quicker than a longer, flatter leaf... making for a harsh ride and consequently, a shock absorber issue.

Being a former RV mechanic, I think an RV spring is a poor alternative. They're designed to carry a load and don't offer much in the way of ride quality.... most have square cut leaves with no lubrication which makes them choppy, harsh and noisy... squeak, squeak, squeak. :mad: They don't take kindly to "shock loads" either. (a pothole, for example) I've replaced my share of broken springs... if you must use an RV spring, I highly suggest a quality name brand piece like Eaton or Standens. (The cheap ones can... and will... fail you! :eek:)

All that said, I have a goofy suspension idea using another trailer part. Wanna hear it? [S

Latest posts

Back