I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That setup looks pretty interesting. Hope you post pics of it on the engine soon. :D Giving me ideas for my own 300/6 build.

Larry, you're better off using me as an example of what not to do.:D

On the lower manifold I tapped the injector holes and put 3/8" aluminum pipe plugs in. Am now grinding as much of the injector boss out of the runner as possible. Trying to create a smooth, unobstructed path for the air/fuel mixture. The runner walls are thin and I already broke through one. JB Weld to the rescue.

Attachments

• its in 002.jpg
    its in 002.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 28
A little sniff o' nitrous never hurt anybody. :rolleyes:

The guys running the nostalgia drags frown on anything that's not "old school". Yes, I realize nitrous has been around since WWII.

I did look into a "cheater" kit but decided against it.

Before I'm done with my engine mania I'll put a turbocharger on something.

Last fall on the way to the Fall Out Drags in Rock Falls Wisconsin we had a massive blowout on the trailer. It might have bent the axle. I know it tweeked the frame. Since I like to build trailers, the old one will be used for parts to build a new one. I picked up the trailer shown in the pics for raw material for the new one. Same deal; single axle, unsprung. Step one will be to clean all the poopoo off the just acquired trailer. Then it will have to be widened. Going for more of a 60's dragster open trailer look.

Attachments

• trlr 001.jpg
    trlr 001.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 33
  • trlr 002.jpg
    trlr 002.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 31
  • trlr 003.jpg
    trlr 003.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 32
Give a guy an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and there's no telling where the carnage will end. I took the project trailer off the orange trailer one piece at a time. Pictured is what I am saving. Shown is the width it will be. There's some rust that will be patched. Tomorrow it goes to Jerry the Sandblaster, then I'll know the extent to which it has to be patched. Fortunately there's a metal warehouse near Jerry's. I coulda started with all new metal but that wouldn't be as much fun.

Attachments

• cut up trailer 002.jpg
    cut up trailer 002.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 24
  • cut up trailer 003.jpg
    cut up trailer 003.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 17
  • cut up trailer 004.jpg
    cut up trailer 004.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 18
Daniel Boone was a Tractor and a Trailer

Gradually removing the deck from the old trailer. Lots of welds to cut with a Zip wheel. I want to save the decking, which is formed channel. I'll use it on the new trailer but will just use two strips turned upside down for tire channels. Should work good. Here's a shot of the Dodge frame lurking in the grass, waiting for me to start the '30 Dodge pick up build.

Attachments

• untrailer 003.jpg
    untrailer 003.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 28
  • untrailer 002.jpg
    untrailer 002.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 28
  • untrailer 001.jpg
    untrailer 001.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Got the side rails back from Jerry the Sandblaster. Ventured into riot torn Minneapolis and picked up steel for the trailer. Welded patches on the side rails where they were thin.. Moving right along. But I probably will need more steel.

The trailer is widened 15". I patched the original frame where it was thin. Next will be the extensions on the rear. The rear end of the dragster is narrowed so the channels will be widened to the inside to accommodate the difference. As you see the blue channel now it fits the width of the dragster front end. It sounds sadistic, but I'll cut the tongue and the diagonal supports off the old trailer and weld them on this one.
Here's a pic of what my next roadster will look like (this winter).

Attachments

• trailer wider 001.jpg
    trailer wider 001.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 26
  • trailer wider 002.jpg
    trailer wider 002.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 22
  • trailer wider 003.jpg
    trailer wider 003.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 30
Slow but Steady

Did some trimming and fitting on the channels. Just about done with the wide part at the end where the slicks will sit. The channels will go to Jerry the Sandblaster to get cleaned up. Lots of cut off wheel work, grinding and welding. Here's the body I put together out of spare junk. It will be the basis for the roadster shown yesterday. But first, I'm going to take the Mustang II suspension out of the Renault and put a straight axle under it. Gasser style, but not nose bleed.

Attachments

• wheel runners 001.jpg
    wheel runners 001.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 21
  • wheel runners 005.jpg
    wheel runners 005.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 19
  • wheel runners 002.jpg
    wheel runners 002.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 19
  • wheel runners 003.jpg
    wheel runners 003.jpg