"Bickle" 1948 3100

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nope. :( looking like summer.

my 52s called today, I mentioned that I bought a very very clean 1 ton 52 and a matching 1 1/2 ton 52 in fair shape. anyway, delivery is imminent. I wish I had a forklift to take them apart but looks like it will be a battery powered party in the side yard with an a frame.

I cut the rears and designed the rad/core mounts today. I am thinking of putting a few sets on ebay for sale to offset the cost of the table? designing them to fold means they can ship flat in a flat rate USPS box..

attachment.php

attachment.php

even changing out material, and needing to cut my sheets in half to fit the table. and changing between front and rear mounts, I think I have 30 minutes in cutting and bending them.

and with all my free time today I picked up my latest treasures.

attachment.php

attachment.php

another " get a round tewit" project that never got the round tewit. its a whole front clip and a bed with fenders. no tailgate.

Attachments

• IMG_6385.JPG.jpg
    IMG_6385.JPG.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6379.jpg
    IMG_6379.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6378.jpg
    IMG_6378.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6386.JPG.jpg
    IMG_6386.JPG.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 93
Excellent job on the mounts.
What's really nice when making parts is, it's not as dramatic having to change/recut a part because ya really don't have much time in them.
What file type do you have before creating the gcode, DXF, SVG ?

you are right about that, even changing the code for the different cut speeds was maybe 30 seconds.

my solidworks outputs in IGES and then I use Autodesk to make the G code.

torchie I have so much stuff right now, but when it comes up cheap I have to buy!

attachment.php

attachment.php

my first 52 showed up, not bad shape.

attachment.php

the cab is pretty nice with just some rust in the kicks, I will probably use it on the next project because it needs the least amount of work. the front end though, will probably end up like bickle's 2 ton front end did recently

attachment.php

braced and ready to hang on someones wall. fun little side project, if it sells I will cut the 52 front off and dooitagennn

stopped by bowtie bits for my semiannual spend. he had the patch piece for the dent in the cab too.

attachment.php

finished the parts on the paying job and the garage was kind of a pig sty, so I put in some work. that cnc table fits so nice in the corner, out of the way (not visible here)

attachment.php

washed out the cab, it was full of mud and sticks. when it dries out a bit I will vacuum the little bit that is left.

attachment.php

aside from a couple small things like headlights and valve cover gaskets, the only big spend items left are the seat and the gauges. I like the dakota digital 47-53 setup because of the OBDII interface, but I DONT like that its a 4.5" gauge with a 1/2" adapter ring. why not just make a 5" gauge? looking around, DD makes a gauge set for dual 5" holes, I may try them out instead, same OBDII interface, same myriad of color choices, same PRNDL, etc.

attachment.php

the only thing that can slow me down right now is that dent patch, the body mounts are 100%, no rust repair bed or cab, no missing parts. should go fast from here.

Attachments

• 60523521617__3EC7B004-A62F-40D3-AD29-E34D7D8ACA2D.jpg
    60523521617__3EC7B004-A62F-40D3-AD29-E34D7D8ACA2D.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 65
  • hdx-2014-s-side.jpg
    hdx-2014-s-side.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6424.jpg
    IMG_6424.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6313.JPG.jpg
    IMG_6313.JPG.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6388.jpg
    IMG_6388.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6398.jpg
    IMG_6398.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6393.jpg
    IMG_6393.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6392.jpg
    IMG_6392.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 65
torchie I have so much stuff right now, but when it comes up cheap I have to buy!

attachment.php

attachment.php

my first 52 showed up, not bad shape.

attachment.php

the cab is pretty nice with just some rust in the kicks, I will probably use it on the next project because it needs the least amount of work. the front end though, will probably end up like bickle's 2 ton front end did recently

attachment.php

braced and ready to hang on someones wall. fun little side project, if it sells I will cut the 52 front off and dooitagennn

stopped by bowtie bits for my semiannual spend. he had the patch piece for the dent in the cab too.

attachment.php

finished the parts on the paying job and the garage was kind of a pig sty, so I put in some work. that cnc table fits so nice in the corner, out of the way (not visible here)

attachment.php

washed out the cab, it was full of mud and sticks. when it dries out a bit I will vacuum the little bit that is left.

attachment.php

aside from a couple small things like headlights and valve cover gaskets, the only big spend items left are the seat and the gauges. I like the dakota digital 47-53 setup because of the OBDII interface, but I DONT like that its a 4.5" gauge with a 1/2" adapter ring. why not just make a 5" gauge? looking around, DD makes a gauge set for dual 5" holes, I may try them out instead, same OBDII interface, same myriad of color choices, same PRNDL, etc.

attachment.php

the only thing that can slow me down right now is that dent patch, the body mounts are 100%, no rust repair bed or cab, no missing parts. should go fast from here.

It's funny on their site they make a statement about not using adapter rings and theirs uses an adapter ring.

I've been liking the Retrotech (RTX) series they make for various vehicles.
prd_1149.jpg

yeah sno, that bothers me too.

been busy. met a nice guy named greg, he needs some help with his truck that just got out of paint prison. I went over and checked it out

IMG_6493.JPG by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr

nice 52, cheaper MII setup, 4 link and coilovers on a camaro rear. 6.2 and 4l60e and that is it. needs EVERYTHING, he has almost nothing except really nice body parts (for the truck you perverts). I wandered around it nodding till he said he wants it running/driving by summer. I told him you could work on it every single day for hours and christmas would be a stretch. he was worried about wiring the motor I told him he needs to be worried about more important things like pedals and steering for starters. he wants it fast and cheap, so i suggested he hit up a salvage yard and get some s10 parts from an older s10, column, pedals, etc. two weeks go by and he calls, wants me over in a couple minutes to install this

IMG_6498.JPG by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr
IMG_6502.JPG by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr

if you dont recognize it, its an upside down quarter section of an s10 cab. well I did tell him to get as much as he could haha. I took it home to take it apart. he was totally fine with me splicing in the s10 firewall section but his nice smooth firewall would look terrible after, so I made a compromise and built him some parts on my new cnc. first a 16ga angled booster plate to use the s10 booster and firewall, as well as stiffen the firewall a lot.

IMG_6536.JPG-1 by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr
IMG_6538.JPG-1 by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr

then I popped out an easy gas pedal mount. the s10 gas pedal bolts on this generation are coarse thread self piercing, so I just gave it a starter hole.

60652053688__A940F6D8-6ED5-4B97-AF91-98922B8214FA.JPG by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr
60652055444__F3E40D52-8C60-4EE8-9AE1-BB8CAFE1F7F2.JPG by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr

I think I will go over tomorrow with my welder and see what I can get done.

I did a small job that needed some 5/16 weld nuts, so I bought in bulk!
IMG_6479 by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr
60593656703__98E79D5D-90A6-4079-8BDD-E23106C8728A by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr

last weekend was the swap meet. I got the parking brake bracket my 2 ton cab was missing to install 1/2 ton inners. I saw a red 56 bed and asked how much, it was a lot. but across the aisle was a blue bed, he had it a while and offered it for a price I had a hard time believing. it wasnt a lot but it was more than I brought, luckily my friend was there and popped out the extra, nice guy.

IMG_6452.JPG by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr

then I ran into 4 more guys I knew who all pitched in and helped get it to the freight elevator, the swap meet wouldnt let me take it out the side doors.

IMG_6454 by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr

I tell ya, for friday the 13th I sure got shown what is important in life. first a friend who loaned me $$ without even a question, and 4 more that loaded a bed without want for payment.

then for my second surprise, the guy with the red bed said "well I woulda sold mine for that". so I bought it too!

IMG_6462.JPG by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr

oh yes, this thread is about bickle haha. well I got the front end out of the back of storage, by myself of course. then I started designing the core mounts.

IMG_6546.JPG by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr
60653573114__209988C9-1D56-4006-96D7-CE49EDAAFC0D.JPG by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr

I also cleaned up the yard from the leftover cab, after cutting out the chunks I needed.

IMG_6510 by Rooty Tooty, on Flickr

so that brings us up to today!

so the longest part of these builds for me, since I use the firewall chunks and pedals, is the minutiae of building a pedal mount from scratch, and welding in the firewall chunks to make bolting things up easy.

but its a fiddly chore. I decided to get efficient I would do some requirements development and build some "universal" parts.

I started with the booster plate on the firewall a couple posts ago.. the s10 booster is tilted in the firewall, so I designed a generous plate with a tilt in it, and cut it from some 16 ga. I got to try it out on gregs 52 first, using the stock 82-94 pedal bracket.

attachment.php

measure once cut twice, it was an inch low and an inch inboard, I trimmed and fixed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

the distance below the dash is necessary because of the diameter of the column, I will have to work that out on his. but for my pedal brackets I will compensate for that.

the 82-94 pedal is different from the 95-04, so I will design both. the width of the top tube is different, and the peg is on the opposite side, and even WHERE the pedal mounts in relation to the booster is different. I decided to make a common booster plate and then use tabs in slots for the two different parts.

here is the 82-94 part, my friend thought I was making spaceships.

attachment.php

when its folded though, its clearer.

attachment.php

through hole too big, and too high, had to build a second with corrections.

then for the 95+, the pedal lines up even with the booster so I decided on a joggle to let the booster nuts install.

attachment.php

there is the differences between the two, as well as that first part I cut and the original S10 part. the 82-94 part needs some more tabs added, and both need the column mounts and braces to the dash brace built. but I am happy with how its working so far.

attachment.php

sold a local guy a set of cab mounts, he had it together in a couple days.

attachment.php

tonight I will finish the back plates, and maybe the column mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_6552.jpg
    IMG_6552.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6554.jpg
    IMG_6554.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6555.jpg
    IMG_6555.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6593.jpg
    IMG_6593.jpg