4 link rear suspension

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1968Canam

I have got the frame done for a 1926 Dodge pickup cab. It is going to have a short bed like Boneheads. I now have it set up for a parallel 4 link, but the links will only be about 14 inches long with 1 1/8 x 2 inch wide poly bushings. Also I will be usng coilovers. I got to wondering if this is going to give enought flexibabilty. I would hate to start breaking the 4 links. Should they be longer. What rear suspension to you run on the back of your truck Bonehead?
Thanks Don

Sorry I missed this one somehow. I have leafs in the back, which are the second set, after bending the first set, a 4 link would be better. Links sound short but really the suspension doesn't need alot of travel to work well. Do you have any pictures of your project?

Bonehead it right, if you limit the suspension travel to a couple inches, which is as much as lots of rods have, then a 14" link will probably work ok. I have short links on one car and have has no problems.

4 link

Thanks for the replys. I think I am going to use rubber bushings in one end of each link. I got some trailing arms of a Isuzu Trooper. They were about 26 inhes long and made out of 1 1/4 inch tubeing. I can cut these and insert a 1 inch diam. piece of tubeing in for the other end. I think this will give me enought give so nothing will bind up and break. I will have to post some pictures of our build. This is for my youngest daughter. She is takeing a welding class at the community college so she can do part of the work.

Don

14" length is plenty. Do you'nt really need a long link bar if setup correctly. Especially with coilovers that don't travel all that far. And you won't break the bars, the poly bushings can withstand enough flex to articulate about 6 inches ro so if they are wide ont he axle.

Latest posts

Back