'34 Dodge Brothers, double build.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit more hammer welding went into this fender, and then I even added some body filler. I'm pretty sure I'm done now.

Attachments

• IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 22
After I put the Ford away. I turned my attention to the Dodge Brothers. The front left-hand fender that I have had been beating on is a Plymouth one and needs some massaging yet. It has to be 2" shorter at the back where It bolts onto the running board. After some imagineering, I decided that I'll cut 2" off the rotten running board.
And speaking of imagineering, I put a 1966 two-ton steering column in this truck to see if it will work. I like a big steering wheel. ------ It won't work in a little wee cab, unfortunately. I don't want to cut up the stock '34 DB column in case someone ever wants to make the truck stock again, and I can't use the whole long stock column with the fat old motor I'm going to use. The answer to my problem is probably I should go out to my '33 Plymouth parts car and cut it's column to length.
All of this was just dreaming, with no work done.

Attachments

• IMG_2628.jpg
    IMG_2628.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 24
Thanks Torchie, ---- but I think you're over-reacting.

I wrangled a '33 Plymouth steering column out of a donor car out in the machine shed, cut it off and pulled the wheel off of it. Walter Chrysler wasn't thinking of me almost 90 years in the future when he made those steering wheels. Sheesh, it was too weathered to be used in a ratrod. I pulled the Dodge Brothers one off because it was quite a bit better, and mounted it on the short column. I'm floundering around now trying to figure out how the horn wire should be and make one that works.

That dang Dutch, making tin work look so easy, and the chinook we're having today, made me work on the front fenders 'Dodge Brothers' spear. The weather was nice so I went out and got a big block of wood to act as an anvil stump. I'll have to round it out yet, but I got looking around for some harder stuff to make the female anvil, instead of just relying on the old stump completely. It turns out that I had a broken plow moldboard that I've already cut some patches out of, that looked interesting and was hard enough. After making a cardboard template of the inner side of the front of the fender, I placed it in many positions on the old moldboard until I got the curve I wanted. I whacked it out of the hardened steel and shone it up a bit. Here it is fitted on the fender. The reason I'm going to all this grief is, these replacement fenders are Plymouth car fenders and they have to end up looking like Dodge Brothers ones.
I got a wee bit more done on the horn button wire and connection, also.

Attachments

• IMG_2266.jpg
    IMG_2266.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2630.jpg
    IMG_2630.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2631.jpg
    IMG_2631.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2632.jpg
    IMG_2632.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Today was a steering column day. I got the top end of the horn wire all thought out and built. The wire used to go down through the hollow steering shaft, to the steering box and then through a hollow shaft in the box and out the bottom. Well I shortened it up a lot and I can shorten the wire up easily, but how do I get it out of the centre of the shaft, successfully. I've been scratching my head a wee bit. The bottom end of the column has to have a floor mount yet and I have to figure out what to hook onto the shaft to get around the motor and all the way to the steering box.
Here's the column and wheel in place and checked for placement, [me sitting in the seat, pretending].

Attachments

• IMG_2633.jpg
    IMG_2633.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back