49 Ford F6 Rat Duallie

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After taking a little break, I was motivated to try and reuse the original instrument cluster. I managed to squeeze in the speedo out of the 86 donor and finished it out with Sunpro gauges... However... the matching Sunpro black trimmed fuel level gauge seems to be 'out of stock' or 'no longer available' everywhere I've looked.:confused: Initially I figured I'd just make do with the original gauge and I'd would say it was about the time I snapped these pictures of it in the dash and hooked up that I realized that the 6 volt gauge probably won't work with 12 volts... and I could get a similar Sunpro in chrome and paint it black to match... so back out it comes...:(
I was thinking about replacing the broken glass... but then I remembered...Rat...

I ordered the resister... Thanks Corpo for the suggestion.

I'm not sure if this will work but I don't know why it wouldn't.... I took the radiator out of the 86 donor truck, cut some of the extra mounts and tabs off of it and turned it sideways... I made new mounts tilting it back a little and I'll need to get a couple universal hoses.My radiator cap is sideways but I think it will fill okay... Worse case I end up buying a radiator actually built to fit...

Resistor is the way to go. You'd be surprised how many newer gauges are still 6 volt and run a resistor.
Every thing is looking great.[cl
And I am still dig'n it.:D :D
Torchie.

if its too hard to fill you could get an older radiator with metal tanks and have a radiator shop move the fill tube to the top

gdivino I liked the gauge idea so The only gauge that worked was my gas gauge in my cluster on my 97 ford I'm repurposing . so I made me a new one I'll paint it black and my gauges will be in tomorrow . I still dont have a speedo but Ill make due with a tach for this moment . Thanks for the idea. I had them mounted every where on the dash and they didnt fit any where . this will work good .. 1217141732-00.jpg

1218141721-00.jpg
I put two gauges in my original cluster and screwed up the gas gauge so I just made another base to put it all in like I-R- POPS did .

Last edited:
Work and a cold shop has slowed my progress but not totally stalled it. I found a 48" x 16" x 9" stainless fuel tank on Craigslist for $65. It was made with baffles in it but it was never had any openings cut in it. I had to narrow it to around 36" to fit between the leaf springs. That took it from approx. 30 gal to approx 27 gal. I considered going even narrowing and fitting it between the frame rail but couldn't get myself to do it... I made do it in the future. It looks really low but the rear end housing actually sits a couple inches lower than the tank. Eventually there will be a trailer hitch that will cover/protect the back of the tank.

I cant wait to get it back outside. It's hard to get a good idea of proportions in close quarters.

The top of the list to is as follows...
Run fuel lines
wire fuel gauge
secure bed floor
install single wire alternator
finish 'basic' wiring (just enough to run)

This will get me out of the shop and on to the dirt roads around my place so I can get some ideas for going forward.

Last edited:
Progress is progress.....(Lord look who talking)

yeah the tank looks low but the camera angle is low too...so might make it look lower than it is.....good idea to protect it.....glad you can still sneak out there every once in a while to bang away at it....[cl

Well you went as far as narrowing it can't you do 2 C notches to the top of the tank and slide it up into the rear frame area about 4-6" ? Would be as easy as cutting the top corner off, flip it upside down and put it back into the opening. Weld her up and done. Just mu $.02

The new tank location looks much safer. Nice installation.

Always use steel gas lines. Copper can break too easily. Vibration can crack it. I once bought a car that the previous owner made a cooling can with a copper coil in it. It cracked, started a fire, and did terrible things to an otherwise nice '71 Challenger. In its next life it was a roundy-round car. :eek:

Latest posts

Back