Stuck Caliper

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

Happy New Year all! My Wife has a 2002 Mustang GT. Not a Rat or Hot Rod but I figure some may not drive their vehicles as the winter comes upon us and would have some insight. One year we put this in the barn for the winter but days it got nice it was a tough drive across the grass to get it out. After that we leave it in the driveway. It never goes out in the snow and especially after the DOT puts down the new car eater pre treat. We took it out after a few weeks of sitting and at least 1 front caliper was stuck. It worked itself free eventually. What do you all do to prevent this? Should I start it and pump the brakes is there something else or is something wrong with them? Thanks for any help. Jim

Bull, my strategy is to change the calipers when then get so they're sticking. We live a way out in the country so there is a lot of mud, fine gravel and [of course] car eater on our roads. All of this stuff finds it's way into the calipers and corrodes the heck out of them. I would never get 18 years out of a set. If you change yours out now and get another 18 years, maybe you'll trade the beast in then, and get a whole new car.

I'm with Mac.
Static brake fluid absorbs moisture. On a everyday vehicle the heat from the brakes heats the calipers and keeps the moisture level down.
Drain the system, install new calipers and rubber hoses. Then bleed the system till the fluid is real clear.

I'm with Mac.
Static brake fluid absorbs moisture. On a everyday vehicle the heat from the brakes heats the calipers and keeps the moisture level down.
Drain the system, install new calipers and rubber hoses. Then bleed the system till the fluid is real clear.

Yes most people don't realize that brake fluid is Hydroscopic, once you open the container of brake fluid it starts to absorb moisture which causes all kinds of problems in your bake system. You should only buy a container big enough to do the job your working on cuz it goes bad sitting on the shelf.

Thank you all. Learned alot with this post. I am going to start gathering the parts for a redo. I have been wanting to update the brakes. Now is a good time to do it. She is not getting rid of it anytime soon. Shen had always wanted a Mustang and this kinda fell in out laps years ago. Only 56K on it. Thanks again. Jim

I hate working on brakes.
That said, I would get rid of all old hydraulics and be done with it. Master , booster, all hoses, calipers , rear cylinders (?)
If no regular fluid changes were done over the yrs, you will probably find a whole bunch of corrosion everywhere in the system.

Latest posts

Back