New Fuel Pump Died

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

I have talked about my project 89 F150 before. There are 2 fuel pumps, 1 in the tank, 1 mid frame rail. I replaced the mid pump and after a few drives around the block and moving it around the yard the pump died. There isn't much gas in the tank and I have no idea how long this truck has sat. Should I drop and clean the tank before putting in the new pump or is it possible the new pump was just junk? Thanks. Jim

I do not know what could be the electrical problem that would just effect the pump but have thought that. It goes through a couple relays that could be dropping the voltage and pulling more current frying it. I have been thinking of putting in a relay and switch for the fuel pump to see what happens. I have checked the battery voltage and it seems normal charging and all when it was running. Thank you. Jim

What brand/ model pump was your inline pump, and why did you have an intank pump and an inline pump ?
I am not sure of the brand. I went to my Mom and Pop shop and got one they had. The one I have now is a Carter and I have not heard great things about it but it is what I have. These trucks have a low pressure in the tank and a high pressure mid truck on the rail. I will check the ground. I am going to do some testing before I go too far with this install. Thanks for the help. Jim

I am not sure of the brand. I went to my Mom and Pop shop and got one they had. The one I have now is a Carter and I have not heard great things about it but it is what I have. These trucks have a low pressure in the tank and a high pressure mid truck on the rail. I will check the ground. I am going to do some testing before I go too far with this install. Thanks for the help. Jim

My experience with Carter pumps has been exactly the opposite of what you have heard. I have run them on several cars, and they just keep on running. Before that, I had Holley pumps, and they are terrible. Sound as loud as a freight train, didn't last very long and hated even a speck of dirt. The ones from the local auto parts store are the worst ever.

So, I guess you are running fuel injection, hence the need for a low and high pressure pump ?

My experience with Carter pumps has been exactly the opposite of what you have heard. I have run them on several cars, and they just keep on running. Before that, I had Holley pumps, and they are terrible. Sound as loud as a freight train, didn't last very long and hated even a speck of dirt. The ones from the local auto parts store are the worst ever.

So, I guess you are running fuel injection, hence the need for a low and high pressure pump ?

Carter was always a good name. I am hopeful they are the same. Yes I do have FI. It is all stock. I bought this truck for a fun, work on it when I want project. It will eventually find it's way to my Son's house so he will have a truck there. I bought it for $700 and have maybe $1200 into it. I want to eventually switch to a carb but wasn't going to quite yet but if this pump goes I may just do it. I have been wanting to build this with used parts and wanted to go to swap meets to get the parts. With covid now the meets are off. Bumming a couple weeks back when I got the pop up notification of "swap meet this weekend". I am going to do everything mentioned before I put this pump in. Thanks. Jim

Ford has a safety switch that cuts off the fuel pump in a accident or a big bump. They are usually mounted in the kick panel on the passenger side on pickups. Check it to make sure it isn't tripped. It has a reset on it if it is.

Thanks. I did not know where it was. I checked this one when I took it out on the bench and it was bad as long as it runs with out any pressure. Jim

I finally got the high pressure pump put in yesterday and turned the key and still no pressure. I removed it and it is working. Back to the truck turned the key and no gas from the tank. Looking like the low pressure pump may have gone out. Now decision time comes. 1) I would love to get rid of the OBD1 EFI and go carb. I can drop the tank and get the pump out and go with a low pressure electric pump on the rail. 2) Put in a new pump and leave it all as is. 3) Cut my loses and scrap it. I'm not into it for much, maybe $1300. It is nothing special, only an old cheap pickup I was going to leave at my Son's for dump runs, home centers, etc. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks. Jim

It's hard to know what it's worth to you, but I'd replace the other pump and hopefully drive it as is...

If that don't work, I'd probably still run the in-tank pump and possibly a little "booster" pump along the rail to feed a carb...

Thanks Doc! I had an idea of cutting an access panel in the bed to replace the pump. I searched this AM and I am not the first to think about it. Many ideas. plus I have an OEM heavy duty drop in bedliner so would not hurt anything. I'm going that route. Thanks again. Jim

I've done several carb change overs and just used the in tank pump with a Holley style pressure regulator with a small return line.

I wouldn't scrap it. The price of scrap is so low. I changed a pump through the floor of the bed once. Drill a hole in the bed and cut with a sawzall. No grinders or flame cutting[ddd

89, assuming it's a 5.0, will be a roller cam motor. I think you will need to swap the distributor for either a points style, a DuraSpark from an 85 Mustang GT manual trans, or use an aftermarket HEI unit of some kind. The factory distributor with the FI works with the computer, so I don't think it will work without the FI in place. Whichever route you go, you need a STEEL gear on it to mate with the roller cam. I bought one on eBay for $35, but the pin hole was wrong and had to re drill the shaft, not easy. I then bought a small cap HEI, it came with the steel gear, first one was warped, the replacement they sent me worked fine.

Any 289-302 carb manifold will swap on, I'm using an early Performer 289 on mine with a Summit 4 barrel. I like the Summit carbs because there is no gaskets below the fuel level in the bowls, one less place to leak, and they take standard Holley jets and such. You will need a regulator to cut the fuel pressure down to 6 psi.

I usually just take the bed off to swap in tank fuel pumps, but if the bolts are rusty, this can be a nightmare. Did the one on my previous 99 F150, used the cherry picker to pick the bed up and roll it back just enough to get to the pump.

Latest posts

Back