Big Block Bantam

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well bob I'm with you, body tilt is right on. Sure would like to make some passes down Famoso Drag Strip at our home track in Bakersfield, CA. [dr[dr[dr I know, just send cash & it could be mine.:rolleyes: That ride would get some attention from the West Coast ANRA group. :eek:

Don't need no wheelie bars, let those hides smoke, it's all about the
show.:D:D

Along with some extra power that BBC puts almost extra 100# on the front axle over a SBC.:eek::eek:

Motor and transmission look about centered on the wheelbase, might not be as bad as you think, you Even got fuel, battery,driver,rollcage and body over the rear wheels.

Got the seat cushions back. They are covered with Carhart material. Bolted the seats in the car and put an out of date seat belt in for street use. Replaced a leaking brake line. The 850 Holley carb had a mismanufactured fitting in the fuel line that leaked like crazy. I swapped a 750 Holley with a simpler fuel line just to get it running. Cranked it over to get oil pressure. None. But there was a puddle of break in oil under the car. Shut the garage lights off and went in the house.

Attachments

• Bantam Interior 001.jpg
    Bantam Interior 001.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Bantam Interior 002.jpg
    Bantam Interior 002.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Bantam Interior 003.jpg
    Bantam Interior 003.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 31
Well Bob, on the bright side the seats look great, love the covers. You will work through the oil problem. You did the right thing, step away for a while then back to it. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last night I miss-posted this info in my Roadster PU build thread.
The block is a 427, 1967 era and takes a canister oil filter. It has an oem spin on filter piece on it so I spun a filter on. Leaks all around it cuz there ain'st no seal. I have a canster from an old small block, or I'll buy a conversion kit for it. This should be the last hurdle.

Last night I miss-posted this info in my Roadster PU build thread.
The block is a 427, 1967 era and takes a canister oil filter. It has an oem spin on filter piece on it so I spun a filter on. Leaks all around it cuz there ain'st no seal. I have a canster from an old small block, or I'll buy a conversion kit for it. This should be the last hurdle.
So glad that is all it was. I had that happen on a 327 decades ago.

Oil filter problem is solved, I hope. [clDecided to use the old style canister because it uses a big, long bolt that is accessed from the bottom. The header would shield a spin on filter and make it almost impossible to get a filter wrench on it.
So I bolted the aluminum casting to the block, bought a filter and tried to run the big bolt through the canister and into the threaded hole in the block. No go. The canister bolt is 1/2" and the tapped hole is 7/16".[S
Back to square one. I had an old Mr. Gasket conversion for a spin on filter. It's now in place with a spin on filter installed. Shoulda done that about 5 hours ago.:eek:

Durn thing is still leaking.

I'm at a crossroads. Been giving this car some serious thought. I don't need a 500 hp Big Block in a little car for street use. Nor do I need another drag car. This car would be plenty of fun with a 300 hp small block in it. I've never been enthused about this build as it sits.

Next week there might be a small block hanging from the chain hoist over this thing.

Latest posts

Back