Parts washer solvent

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil cottingham

Fairhope, AL but originally from Centreville, AL.
What do you guys that have parts washer use for solvent. I have a older safety clean washer that I bought at an auction. I have used kerosene in the past but can't find it for less than $45.00 for five gallons since I moved to south Al. Last I bought about 2 years ago was 6.00 a gal. I have heard that b100 bio diesel works very good but have not been able to find any. Mineral spirits cost about the same as kerosene at Lowes. If you haven't guessed I'm trying to get by as cheap as possible. That's what us old tight wads do. Phil

Can't help, i use kerosene and pay the price.:cool: i've tried the water base stuff but it just doesn't work for me. [S
If you find some thing good let us know. :D

One gallon of this and 5 gallons of kerosene.
Kerosene is less than $6 gallon here.
If your parts cleaner is painted inside the wash tub, it wont be after using this [ddd
0901.jpg

home heat oil

#1 home heating fuel oil is one step below kerosene. Here in sw Ohio fuel oil is use a lot. #2 home oil about $1.95 gal. #2 slightly higher. #1 heating oil stoves and extremely cold places. #2 furnaces. #1 will not wax up as quickly as #2

solvent

#1 home heating fuel oil is one step below kerosene. Here in sw Ohio fuel oil is use a lot. #2 home oil about $1.95 gal. #2 slightly higher. #1 heating oil stoves and extremely cold places. #2 furnaces. #1 will not wax up as quickly as #2

I wish we had some of that in Alabama. The price is right. I don't think it would be worth a trip to Ohio. Thanks Phil

On your hands? No matter what you are using you should be wearing solvent gloves!

Gloves? We don't need no stinking gloves! :D

Only time I ever use gloves is when I'm using acid or fiberglass resin. I've never used gloves when cleaning parts, not even when using gas. Never thought about it. Just like you see guys wearing surgical gloves working on a car, just looks odd to me. I'd have them torn up in seconds.

solvent

I wasn't going to comment on the glove thing but since Bama did I will. I'm to old for solvent to hurt. Like Bama I have used about everything including gasoline over the years. In the early 70's I worked in a shop where each mechanic had a wash pan of gas to clean parts. Nobody ever thought about the effects in had on our hands it was just part of the job. We also didn't worry about the open flame gas heaters that were very close to the open pans of gasoline. The good Lord was just taking care of us I guess. Phil

No one is invincible, believe it or not. I have been unfortunate enough to see what chemical carcinogens can do to someone who wasn't "taken care of", and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. If someone chooses not to wear PPE that is their right, but ignorance is certainly nothing to brag about. Not only can it harm the individual, but what's worse is when a innocent child is born with a birth defect because someone chose to ignore basic safety measures. Maybe they didn't think about it or they thought it looked odd, but it can and does happen.

Speaking of those odd looking surgical gloves on commercial mechanics - Not only do they shield against petroleum based carcinogens but also provide protection from Hepatitis C. Hep C lives for six weeks outside the body on surfaces, and there is no cure for it. Mechanics are routinely in contact with surfaces where some other goofball has likely skinned his knuckles or whatever else. I know in my years as a truck equipment mechanic I certainly didn't know or trust the people responsible for what I was handling. Not only that, but it makes cleanup WAY easier!

As far as solvent protection, Chem gloves cost a few bucks and it takes a few seconds to put them on. Hang them right by the wash area. Make it routine and you won't have to "think about it". I'm not one to harp on safety, but there is no REAL reason not to wear proper gloves. Think about it like this - Firefighters used to work with no breathing apparatus. Should they not use it now just because they did it without for a long time? Same with any trade or trade-based hobby. I'm sure there are guys who thought they were too old for those odd looking steel toe boots and welding helmets too... [;)

Chem cancer

I had a friend who ran one of his family high volume auto paint shops. He used to go into the spray booths with out breathing protection to check his new employees, wash his hands in solvent et. etc The last time I saw him before he died of cancer He was half of his old foot ball player weight, had grown a white beard and I did not recognize him, only his voice hadn't changed.

solvent

I didn't mean to start a debate on the pros and cons of getting parts cleaner on your hands. That's why I asked the question about how the carb cleaner was on your hands. On the other hand thought kerosene was used like a medicine by many old timers for many different ailments including cuts and scratches. But then that may be what killed my granddaddy. He used kerosene every night on his old ww1 wounds. He died at 97.

I have found that the best thing to clean both my hands & parts is used trannie fluid. Naturally it would be very expensive to use new stuff, but I keep it any time I change it.

My tank holds about 7 gallons. I use mineral spirits with a couple qts. of ATF added to it. I've always scraped as much as possible off dirty parts over the trash can before going to the solvent tank. I know I should wear gloves in the tank but I don't. I do however wash my hands with soap and water directly after the solvent tank. In fact, I bet I wash my hands at least 20 times per day. I HATE grease on my hands or my tools. About 20 years ago a guy I worked with swore mineral spirits helped heal cuts. He said the spirits caused your white blood cell count to go up and that made cuts heal faster.[S

I didn't mean to start a debate on the pros and cons of getting parts cleaner on your hands. That's why I asked the question about how the carb cleaner was on your hands. On the other hand thought kerosene was used like a medicine by many old timers for many different ailments including cuts and scratches. But then that may be what killed my granddaddy. He used kerosene every night on his old ww1 wounds. He died at 97.

My Grandpap took a teaspoon of sulfur and kerosene mix of some kind, for what ever he was suffering from and it never hurt him. he was in his 90s when he passed but it wasnt from the kerosene.

solvent

Thanks for all input and ideas. I finally broke down yesterday and bought some diesel. It's the cheapest thing out there right now. I was hoping to find some B100 biodiesel. But the closest thing is B20 at Loves. I've got a lot of greasy dirty parts to clean so the diesel will get dirty quick. I'm still open to any ideas on this. Phil

for many years i've used "purple cleaner", aka garage floor cleaner, the stuff you can get from crappy old AUtozone in 5 gallon jugs. it's a nasty-strong surfacant, a lot of lye i think. it deals with caked on, 50+ yr old chassis grease just fine.

i use a "mud tub", those shallow black plastic tubs used for drywall "mud" filler for parts cleaning. about perfect for this. i use heavy "scotchbrite" pads and wire brushes. it doesn't cut as good as petro solvents, about 60% as good, but it's cheap, water soluable, and doesn't poison my lungs.

i use black disposable neoprene gloves under a pair of those new neoprene "mechanics" gloves. i get 'em a dozen at a time from AIrgas welder's supply. cleans the gloves too. this stuff eats the oils from your skin and burns, even.

i just rebuilt a T14 transmission. used purple cleaner for two passes (manual trans' get NASTY) then the final clean with kerosene with a tablespoon of motor oil to stop rust.

i've built a couple motors, cleaned entire axles, chassis, anything and everything. the stuff degreases perfectly even for painting. no smell, fire worry nor lung ruination.

Latest posts

Back