Gelled diesel fuel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
The super cold snap we had gelled the fuel in my truck
Deisel 911 to the rescue!
Replaced the fuel filter
Filled it with 911 and hooked up some jumper cables for battery insurance
Three cranks later all is well
It was double digit negative temperatures for a few days so i shouldn't be suprised.
Then it just sat for a long time

here's a conversion chart for the rest of you:

Minnesota Temperature Conversion Chart

50 Fahrenheit (10 C)
New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.
Minnesotans plant gardens.

40 Fahrenheit (4.4 C)
Californians shiver uncontrollably
Minnesotans sunbathe.

35 Fahrenheit (1.6 C)
Italian Cars won't start
Minnesotans drive with the windows down.

32 Fahrenheit (0 C)
Distilled water freezes
Minnesotans water gets thicker.

0 Fahrenheit (-17.9 C)
New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.
Minnesotans have the last cookout of the season.

-40 Fahrenheit (-40 C)
Hollywood disintegrates.
Minnesotans rent some videos.

-60 Fahrenheit (-51 C)
Mt. St. Helen's freezes.
Minnesota Girl Scouts sell cookies door-to-door.

-100 Fahrenheit (-73 C)
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole
Minnesotans pull down their earflaps.

-173 Fahrenheit (-114 C)
Ethyl alcohol freezes.
Minnesotans get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.

-459.4 Fahrenheit (-273 C)
Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.
Minnesotans start asking, "cold enough for ya?"

-500 Fahrenheit (-295 C)
Hell freezes over.
The Vikings win the Super Bowl

I don't think anyone should have to live any farther north than Bolivar Mo. That's only 25 miles north of Springfield Mo and 17 miles north of me [ddd

Actually it kinda does Billy. Just parking in an open fronted shed out of the wind helps a lot.

Actually Billy is right on this one.

wind chill is based on the evaporation rate of moisture from the skin adding to relative feel of the temperature.

it only affects animals with pores, like us dumb __ss humans.

dogs and pigs don't have pores in their skin and can tolerate the out doors much better than we do.

if it's -50f air temp, no amount of wind will make a car's temp go below that point. it will however drop to that point a lot faster.

a car sitting outside at -50f with no wind and a bright sun shinig on it may be 10 to 20 degrees warmer than the surrounding air depending on the color of the car, the darker the better.

But it's still damn cold around here in January and February.

Actually Billy is right on this one.

wind chill is based on the evaporation rate of moisture from the skin adding to relative feel of the temperature.

it only affects animals with pores, like us dumb __ss humans.

dogs and pigs don't have pores in their skin and can tolerate the out doors much better than we do.

if it's -50f air temp, no amount of wind will make a car's temp go below that point. it will however drop to that point a lot faster.

a car sitting outside at -50f with no wind and a bright sun shinig on it may be 10 to 20 degrees warmer than the surrounding air depending on the color of the car, the darker the better.

But it's still damn cold around here in January and February.

True, but possibly part of the reason parking in a shed helps is that the temp normally hits bottom just before the sun comes up and therefor being out of the wind keeps the vehicle from attaining the lowest temp. But for whatever reason, I've been around double digit negative temps enough to know, parking equipment inside a shelter generally makes a difference.

2 days ago my thermometer read -36f here in north dakota.
Oh yeah
The Cummins is froze again
I have it Tarped
Trickle charger
And block heater
But the fuel in the lines is gelled
Like a dummy I didn't add additive until AFTER I filled the tank
So no good stuff made it through the lines.
Next week it should be in the 20s so I'll wait till then to put the propane heater under the truck

I lived in the Tidewater area of VA for 5 years. I enjoyed the cold. I came back south and froze! The problem here is that the moisture never freezes out of the air. It will warm up into to the 60's which means it's going to rain. Then it rains and the temp drops 30 degrees but it doesn't freeze. It just stays in the high 30's low 40's with 80% humidity and 20-30 mile winds.

After a week of rain, it's clear and in the 50's today so I can actually get some work done. Not to worry it will soon be back into the normal 90's with high humidity...

Latest posts

Back