46 chevy 1.5 ton front axle swap

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molinerat

I'm wanting to change out the front axle on my 46 1.5 ton to a 1/2 ton axle. My question is, will a front axle from a 48-54 GM 1/2 ton fit in its place?

Spring mounts (center-to-center) are the same, but the heavier (1.5 ton) has wider springs than the 1/2 ton... so, you'd have to change the axle, springs, hangers and shackles... or, hog the holes out...

Another question, are all the brake parts and hubs interchangeable between a 1/2 ton 46 and a 1/2 ton 48-54? I know it sounds like I'm rambling a lot but there is actually a little method to my madness! LOL

Yes, they should interchange. ( Up to '59, I believe.)

Beginning in '51, they had Bendix brakes. (Self-energizing/self-adjusting.) The entire brake assembly, hubs, drums and backing plates should swap, though the lower mounting holes will need to be enlarged from 7/16'' to 1/2''.

I'm wanting to keep it 6 lug and all the disc brake kits I find to fit the 46 change it to 5 lug. But I can find disc brake kits to fit 48-59 that keep it 6 lug. So, if I order a kit to fit a 48-59 it should work on my 46 1/2 ton axle?

Latest posts

Back