Mustang ii help needed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stilltryin

I am not a welder fabricator and my questions might seem idiotic to some of you more experienced guys. I have a few questions regarding using an actual mustang ii front suspension on a 32 chevy. The project I picked up has one partially installed however while the rear of the crossmember hits the frame rail and is welded in place the front does not touch the frame due to the narrowing of the frame as it goes forward towards the frame horns. There is a noticeable gap between the front of the crossmember and the frame. I know I am not the first person to come across this so is a plate or piece of angle typically used to tie the 2 together? I also am building a full fender car and the upper control arms will not fit so I guess I need to use a tubular aftermarket set of arms, will these bolt up directly like the factory ones? There is also a stabilizing arm thats part of the original setup in place hanging below the car but there is no way this will work in its present location. I have search the internet for picturs but all I ever find are aftermarket ifs setups. Any and all help is appreciated.

Pictures are a good starting place. There I said it first. :D Not that I should talk, but a build thread is a great idea for getting folks to chine in around here.

This should be a great learning experience for you.

Before you go much further, measuring and cross measuring is a good place to start with a project that someone else abandon. Make sure everything is in straight, square, and plumb.

The lads here are a big help. Finding a local friend that knows something is also great.

Furthermore, if someone says something looks like it could kill you, don't take offense. We care. We don't want unsafe rides on the roadways, and we don't want you or anyone else killed, maimed, or otherwise broken.

What you have described here sounds like it needs to be checked over thoughly.

As to the fenders and upper a-arms, think about slicing and dicing on the fenders, if needed. Tubular a-arms look better, but they take up about the same ammount of space.

Welcome to RRR. Have fun!

You're posting questions in the right threads however, if you'll start a build thread, as Skip suggested, we can follow along and give guidance as you progress.
To answer part of your question, it is common for the factory cross member to have filler plates to adapt them to the tapered frame of the older rides. Angle iron will work but, I would rather see something fabricated.
The bars hanging down are strut bars. They require a bracket welded to the frame for them to hook to and will most likely hang bellow the frame.
The aftermarket Mustang ll suspensions have lower a-arms to eliminate the use of the struts.
If you are not skilled in welding then, by all means have someone that is do the welding :) [P

What's the issue with the control arms? Tubular arms won't gain any fender clearance, unless you have a width problem and need narrower arms.

The strut rods, in my opinion, are designed and engineered to work with the stock crossmember and components. Tubular (lower) arms, without some well designed support additions, will flex and stress the crossmember to failure.

I don't mean to contradict or disagree with the opinions already posted... much the opposite... just adding my thoughts on the subject...

The strut bars will work on either the front or rear of the A arm, doesn't matter which side. Like Dr C said, they keep the A arm from collapsing during braking. There are tubular lower arms designed to eliminate the strut rods, but I have heard of them breaking the attachment points off the crossmember.

One question--is the crossmember a factory Ford piece that was cut from a car, or is it an aftermarket one designed for your frame? I've seen factory ones put in before the aftermarket ones became available, and they were pretty ugly. I'm thinking if you have an aftermarket crossmember designed for your frame that it should fit flush against the frame at all points. But the upper arms may still hit the fenders....

My Bro in law had a 1926 Pontiac that a MII had been put under, it was full fendered, and the top arms hit the fenders. There was no way to adjust them out to align the camber, the front tires sat like this.....//-----\\. The only way to fix it would have been to cut the fenders and put a bubble in to clear the upper arms, and he wouldn't do it, he sold it instead.

It is a factory mustang ii crossmemebr and thats one of my questions, can you buy a control arm that does not require modification to the fender. It seems some guys think you cant and others feel you can.

It is a factory mustang ii crossmemebr and thats one of my questions, can you buy a control arm that does not require modification to the fender. It seems some guys think you cant and others feel you can.

There is your fitment problem. You would probably be better off to cut that mess off and get you a crossmember designed for your frame. Here is a kit that they say will fit without notching the fenders, they might sell you the crossmember and you use your old arms and spindles, or maybe just your spindles
http://www.progressiveautomotive.co...eet-ryde-mustang-based-front-suspensions.html

Here's one that fits a 34 Chevy, but they also list a universal crossmember
http://www.yogisinc.com/index.cfm/p...12908/category_id=2814/mode=prod/prd12908.htm

Here's one you bend and weld up the pre cut pieces
https://www.fabquest.com/universal-mustang-ii-you-weld-crossmember-coil-over-shocks.htm

I would contact some of the places that build the kits and ask them, that way you'd know what you bought would work right.

I don't understand why you would have problems :confused:
I installed an aftermarket Mustang ll tubular upper and lower front end in this 34 Pontiac without any issues.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6776.jpg
    IMG_6776.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 34
He has a stock Ford crossmember Old Iron. Sounds like it's not fitting his frame very well. With a new crossmember that fits his frame he will be fine.

He has a stock Ford crossmember Old Iron. Sounds like it's not fitting his frame very well. With a new crossmember that fits his frame he will be fine.
I see.
The 38 Ford Bobber, in my links, had the stock mustang ll frame and it needed fabrication work to fill the gap in the front but, it didn't have fenders either.

Forge on :) [P

Here's Old Iron's Ford Bobber...

attachment.php

... and a '38 Chevy coupe we're working on... belongs to a friend, also with a stock MII (installed by previous owner)...

attachment.php

... big difference between the two... the Chevy positions the upper arms much higher, which is fine for this car, no problem with the fenders.

If you were setup at OI's Ford height... I'd think you'd clear your fenders.

Just saying, if the Chevy's arms were on the Ford or vice versa, I don't see any appreciable loss or gain in fender clearance.

Attachments

• MII stock.JPG
    MII stock.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back